REVERSE PLANCHE

Started by Ian Legrow, August 24, 2011 · 14 Replies · 7,322 Views

Ian Legrow

I have heard this called a reverse planche, but I don't know. When someone is in a handstand and they lower their legs the opposite direction, like they are going to go into a bridge, but before their feet touch the ground they reverse and pull their legs back to a handstand. This looks very interesting, and nowhere near my capabilities yet. however, i was wondering what the point of trainging them is. I have never seen them done on any type of gymnastics routine in the olympics. I looks like a lot of fun, but is there really a point besides the obvious flexability work?

Aaron Griffin

Is this even possible? Do you have video?

Eddie Stelling

This is the same move people are referring to when they say reverse planche. I believe they are actually called hollowbacks. This is more of a bboy move than gymnastics move. Also something Ido Portal probably uses in his type of training (flow and movement stuff) and in capoiera. Also seen this in circus acts.

Tarun Suri

I always imagined a reverse planche differently.

Would a reverse plank but with legs parallel to the ground be a difficult move to achieve? I simply have no clue how demanding that is.

palmcron

The handbalancing-term for the move you describe is Mexican.

yuri marmerstein

yea, mexican handstand or hollowback. bboys typically bend their elbows and get really low and deep into their shoulders

hand balancers keep the elbows straight and open the shoulder angle while arching the back

I don't particularly like the term "reverse planche"

Fox

Damn! This looks very uncomfortable to me. :shock:

Rafael David

I think that the most close thing of a reverse planche is a high manna... :?

Evilllamas

I don't suppose anyone has done what is essentially a front lever, but with the arms going so far down they are behind you, and doing a `planche` that way?

I'm not even close to a planche yet, so can't really test the physical possibility myself.

Ian Legrow

I don't know if i full;y understand what you are saying.

Philip Chubb

He is talking about a literal reverse planche. Kind of like a laid out manna. I think in terms of difficulty, imagine an l sit and then a planche. We all know how much more difficult a planche is. Then imagine a manna (which is counter balanced sort of like an lsit) and a "reverse planche". In other words, it would be really really difficult!

Ian Legrow

That is something I would really like to see! although i assume you would need the shoulder felxibility of a freakin' ninja

Joshua Chan

I think you're talking of doing a victorian on floor. I seriously doubt there is someone in the world that can do it. Maybe Dany rodriguez is able to lift himself up but not entirely straight. If someone ever did it on floor, it would be a G.

Ian Legrow

Yeah, that would require a tremendous amount of strength in like...every part of your body. Triceps, back and core would be hit the hardest i think tho