Fat:Carb Relationship in Fast Fat Loss

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, August 21, 2011 · 1 Replies · 2,825 Views

Quick Start Test Smith

I was reading about carb cycling on T-Nation, and it seems to be very popular for fat loss and swift size gain. The funny thing was that every source I could find included grains and such... but I only eat vegetables and a few fruit for my carbs. Poliquin says that vegetables can be eaten in practically any amount you like, though, so I'm not sure if carb cycling can be applied with just greens.

I'm currently doing a bit of fat cycling of 40-50 grams one day and 120-150 the second. I just eat about 100g of carbs a day from greens. It seems to be quite effective, but I'm interested in learning more about why and how the two methods (fat cycling and carb cycling) work. Can anyone put it into layman's terms for me?

Larry Roseman
Patrick Smith said:
I was reading about carb cycling on T-Nation, and it seems to be very popular for fat loss and swift size gain. The funny thing was that every source I could find included grains and such... but I only eat vegetables and a few fruit for my carbs. Poliquin says that vegetables can be eaten in practically any amount you like, though, so I'm not sure if carb cycling can be applied with just greens.

I'm currently doing a bit of fat cycling of 40-50 grams one day and 120-150 the second. I just eat about 100g of carbs a day from greens. It seems to be quite effective, but I'm interested in learning more about why and how the two methods (fat cycling and carb cycling) work. Can anyone put it into layman's terms for me?

This is very layman, but if you eat more carbs on your workout days, you'll have more energy to perform and sustain the desired

tension on the muscles. And if you less on your rest days, you will be eating less calories and be less prone to store the

fat that you do eat.

Regarding fat cycling, I don't see much point in doing it intentionally. Fat is the ugly sister of the family, and

I would personally focus on hitting your desired protein first and carb level second.

How much below your maintenance are you eating currently? If you are eating below maintenance, you can

pretty much get away with eating any macro breakdown without consequence other perhaps playing with your energy levels.