Volatile Flexibility?

Started by DaveGrimes, August 18, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,333 Views

DaveGrimes

I am having a problem with my flexibility prehab training. I seem to gain and lose static flexibility rather quickly. While my sitting hamstring stretch may be all the way past my toes one day, if I take a few days to a week off from stretching, I may only be able to reach mid shin. Then within a day or two, I can work it back to my toes, and eventually over the top.

this leads me to believe that it I have an abnormally volatile flexibility state. While the other athletes around me are working (much slower) towards maximum flexibility, I continually slip back and forth.

In addition, I feel that a large amount of the distance I can reach comes from a rounded back, I have little flexibility from my hips. barely past 90 degrees with a straight back.

Any thoughts? Should I be stretching pike every day? Should I be doing some kind of active hamstring stretch, vs sit and stand pike stretch? Will front lunges and front splits improve hamstring flexibility at my hips? :?

Joshua Naterman

You answered your own question! The flexibility at the hips is what matters because that's actual hamstring flexibility, and you also noted that you take occasional gaps in your training. I do the same thing, which is why I am making zero progress in the flexibility arena. It just hasn't been a priority for me, but I have been making a point to keep what I have.

Making noticeable gains takes lots of consistency!

Erik Sjolin

Yep, gaining any kind of flexibility takes a lot of patience and consistency. There was a four step process for how I got my pike:

Step 1 - Do something stupid and injure yourself somewhere so you can't do a lot of strength work.

Step 2 - Stretch a lot to keep yourself from going completely crazy.

Step 3 -

Step 4 - Profit.

In all seriousness though, a couple things that helped me was how I sit and how I started the stretch. When you sit, try and flatten your back and attempt to pull your butt up off the seat without actually lifting. It sort of helps to teach the hips the right position (in my experience). As far as starting the stretch, bend your legs and lay your body across the upper part. Then see how far you can stand up while maintaining this position. There was a thread on here a while ago about that, but I'm not sure where it went.

DaveGrimes

Thanks guys, quick response! I appreciate the advice.

learningtofly
Step 1 - Do something stupid and injure yourself somewhere so you can't do a lot of strength work.

Step 2 - Stretch a lot to keep yourself from going completely crazy.

So true :lol: