Overall hand strength

Started by ashita, August 18, 2011 · 4 Replies · 16,681 Views

ashita

Hey guys, i was wondering who here work specifically his fingers, wrist, grip, well the overall hand strength.

I bought a book The grip Master's Manual from John Brookfield and my CoC grippers are ordered.

In this book we learn a lot of exercices but nothing really about how design a routine with them.

So i created this subject so everyone can share his experience about this, the exercices you do, your training program etc

Whatever it is from this book or not...

Well if ever there are some who work their hands here :roll:

Thanks in advance

Falcon

3 inch diameter dumbbell wrist work, then we are talking about a GRIP. And, lifting things.. logs, sandbags etc.

Joshua Naterman

GREAT book!!! I have that too.

In my experience, thick bar work (using 2", 2.5" and 3" if your hands are big enough) like farmer's walks are really the overall best. COC work helps a lot with finger strength and band work with the thumb really rounds things out. 2 or 2.5" rope climbs are also extremely helpful!

There's all kinds of specialty stuff but these are the true basics. If you do these you'll have pretty short workouts and pretty big carryover to all other types of hand strength, at least in my personal experience.

ashita
There's all kinds of specialty stuff but these are the true basics. If you do these you'll have pretty short workouts and pretty big carryover to all other types of hand strength, at least in my personal experience.

Like cut an apple in half with your thumb :wink: :lol::P

What exercices from the book did you used ? did you have a weekly program ?

Joshua Naterman

Not so much, I mean thick handle farmer walks 2-3 times per week and I hit the #2 gripper every day in my car when I park it and start it. Right now I'm doing 3-10 reps depending on how my hands feel that day. Between that and OAC work, which I do with a fingers only grip, strength is going up fast. I'm not doing farmer's walks at all because I'm being lazy, but thick handle work makes a huge difference over the long term!

I have also found that wide fingertip bear walks and things like that help a lot, wide referring to the fingers. The thumb really does need to be worked with bands, it's the only way I have found to consistently hit the thumb in all its movements really well. Finger extensor work is also great, rubber bands around the outside of the fingers is cheap and effective and easily scalable.