Critique on My Starting Work

Started by Matthew Mossop, August 18, 2011 · 5 Replies · 1,932 Views

Matthew Mossop

Ok so I just got into all this stuff about two weeks ago... I've been doing the WOD's as well as some FSP training. I know my form probably isn't that great, so I'm just looking to improve whatever I can.

Ok so first video... XR dip. As far as I can tell my form is actually ok here... maybe I should just dip a little deeper. Oh ya, I also do training on rings turned out support in the position I'm in at the start of the video, so any input there would be great too.

3IiOfSKDXdM

The next one's a little odd. I was basically trying to show two different shoulder positions (one forward and one back with scapula retracted), but I guess you can't really see what's happening with my shirt on. Basically I wasn't sure which shoulder position to use. I've been training with shoulders forward, but realized at some point that it was probably wrong. I find it about 50 times harder with shoulders pulled back... way more stress on the upper back.

What I mean is described in Breaks' video here... and I see that shoulders should be pulled back: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vi ... 8&start=15

Anyway, I think I achieve that at around the 8s mark of the video.

Uli3lfbC9F0

Next is a German Hang to what I think looks like an ok tuck BL.

HrKZBNH8seU

Next is HS stuff... just wondering if my hands are close enough to the wall and close enough to each other.

I2KomFSwSUg

Next is an inverted hang to an attempted flat tuck FL. I can see my back is definitely way too hunched during the inverted hang, and my shoulders are too far forward during the FL.

028Izy69Rw4

Joshua Naterman

Dip: looks good!

FL: a bit shaky, but you were trying to mess with your shoulder position. Try to keep perfectly still. Setting the shoulders while inverted and THEN lowering works well.

HS: hands are fine but your lower back is still arched.

GH and BL: Looks good, but you need to work on lowering much further into the german hang. Little by little of course, but eventually you want to be nearly vertical. At some point you will want to start doing these with a chin up grip so that your palms are facing down. The BL will be much harder on the elbow this way so proceed slowly.

The last video seemed to have bent elbows but I could be mistaken. If so it is very slight, so good work! I will say this: you aren't ready to hit advanced tuck FL yet unless it's once a week strength work, but the position was pretty good.

Matthew Mossop

Thanks for the reply :).

Ya it was just shaky cause I was fooling around with my shoulder position... normally I would hold it completely still.

I don't really see an arch in my back for the HS... it must be very slight no? Any tips on correcting it?

Should I work on getting the vertical German Hang before trying BL's?

For the last video I only tried a flat tuck as part of a WOD (not for static hold time)... so shouldn't I use a harder variation than I can normally hold? For example if it were a Tick Tock I'd only be in the FL position for 1s or so, so if I can hold a decent flat tuck FL that long should I do it, or should I only use variations of moves which I currently train during FSP work? Like should I only ever do tuck FL's during WOD's until I can hold a tuck FL for 60s? Did that make sense? Lol.

Joshua Naterman

As long as you aren't wearing yourself out feel free to use a harder position for tick tocks and the like, but I think that you will find it makes a big difference!

Matthew Mossop

Ok I made another video to show what I meant with my shoulders. Basically I just wanna see if my shoulder position is ok during my tuck and flat tuck FL.

I always try to retract them, but how they end up in the video seems to be as far back as I can get them during a tuck FL. However that's how it looks it BtGB.

When I try to bring my shoulders back more, my legs go up in the air and my back straightens into a flat tuck (as seen in video)... I have no idea why.

HJ0wduEF6DM

So anyway, is the shoulder positioning ok for these two variations?

Then here's a negative muscle up. I'm just looking for some tips for my transition... I can't control it any better than it shows in the video.

-VipRwjSa5U

Lastly a tuck planche... any tips for this? My elbow looks slightly bent I think, but it feels locked out when I do it.

qDb6IuFcC3g

Thanks for any help!

Matthew Mossop

Anyone?