Behind the Wall: Chinese Weightlifting

Started by Jason Stein, August 17, 2011 · 0 Replies · 3,252 Views

Jason Stein

Hey guys,

There's an interesting discussion over on Glenn Pendlay's forum regarding Chinese weightlifting ideas, techniques, and methodologies.

Apparently a poster lived and trained with former Chinese coach Wu Chuan Fu, who's now coaching in Singapore.

Mostly incidental to gymnastics-specific training, but interesting nonetheless.

My takeaways were of course Technique, Joint Prep, and Prehab (sound familiar?)

"An elite and a newbie session can both last 3 hours, but the newbie is spending much of the 3 hours with an empty bar. As much as 2 hours. I remember having to do 150 snatch pulls, then high snatch pulls with knee rebend, then snatch balances for 2 months before I was allow to even consider snatching. This didn't include the 1 month that was spent with just the bamboo stick doing 300 pulls. And squats. Yes with the bamboo stick. Even after that, I'd still have to spend many hours snatching in front of a mirror."

"My coach also emphasized squatting with a moderate pace, pausing slightly at the parallel point and drive up. As weights hit 85%<, I'd do 3 reps like that, 2 reps, ATG with the bounce. This was believed to strengthen ligament/tendon strength as well as develop strength throughout the whole ROM."

http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=3626

best,

jason