This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My Journey into Gymnastics Training + LeanGains

Started by daphaniee, August 15, 2011 · 17 Replies · 2,380 Views

daphaniee

Hello, I am Daphanie and this is a log of my journey into Gymnastics training.

I was inspired only a few days ago by a youtube video and somehow got linked to this site and I'm so glad I did!

I have always wanted to be agile and strong like a free runner and have always been intrigued by gymnastics moves.

I can do a cartwheel, a round off, and I can dive roll. I can do 6 dead hang chin-ups with clean form. I have recently gotten into lifting, but I haven't been consistent. I am creating this log in hopes that it will keep me organized and in-check. I made my own parallettes and have ordered some XR's.

I have been working on my FSP's for three days and I have made the following progress

(8/14/11)

60s Plank - (max, 2 minutes)

60s Reverse Plank (max, 1:30)

60s Hollow Hold (max, 30 seconds) (I'm really weak here)

60s Arch Hold (max, 1:30)

60s Parallette Bar Support (max, 1:15 - feet in front)

60s Static Chin-up grip (max, 60s)

That's it for now. I plan to do some bouldering (about 30 minutes) and after, do some lifting. My diet is so sporadic. I eat very healthy except for the ice cream binges (haha). I have found that watching my carbohydrate intake really helps me with preventing weight gain so - another reason I'm trying to keep this log! I am also logging my food on myfitnesspal :P

My LeanGains Post is a few below!

daphaniee

Weight: 147lbs

WU:

Reverse Straight Arm Shoulder Flys (8 Reps) With Bands

Straight Arm Shoulder Flys (8 reps) With Bands

Shoulder Dislocations (5 reps)

BW Squats (10 Reps)

Squat Hip Rotations (10 Reps)

Bent Over Hang Stretch

Straight Arm Circles (12 Reps)

Ham stretch

BW Sumo Squats (15 Reps)

Lower Body Day :

30' x 2 Deep lunges

Parallel Bar Leg Raises 3x 8

Olympic Bar Deep Squats 3x 65lbs

Bouldering 45min

daphaniee

Weight 144lbs

Today is my first workout with the XR's.

PreWO - CGT-10 (Creatine, Glutamine, Taurine), water and a couple ounces of concord grape juice)

W/U :

arm circles, forward and reverse

huggers

BW Deck Squats - 15 reps

Hamstring Stretch

Quad Stretch

Shoulder and Neck Stretch

Push-Ups - 10 Reps

W/O :

XR Swings (I did one set of hanging swings, 3 reps of front to back. not quite strong enough yet to do more)

XR Support (Static Hold) 2 x 15s

XR Inverted Hangs 2 x 15s

XR Push-Ups 2 x 10

XR Dips 2 x 10 supported, knees bent

FSP's - Plank (60s), RPlank (60s), Hollow Hold (30s), Arch Hold Parallel Support (60s), Static Hang (60s). (I'm really getting better at the hollow hold, yes!)

A little HIIT after, consisting of :

Shuttle Runs 2x

Picnic Table crossovers 2 x 16

PWO : Protein Shake w/ water to help with muscle building and recovery.

Summary :

I think I will be repeating this same workout for a while, especially building on my XR dips and XR push-ups, they were very tough and I could only do 2 sets of 10 reps a piece. Much, Much harder than doing the same number of dips with my hands supported by a ledge of some sort.

I am going to be sore tomorrow & the next day!!!post-50454-13531537216526_thumb.jpg

daphaniee

Weight : ?

W/U :

wrist routine

shoulder routine

W/O : (done circut style)

XR Support : 3x15s

Inverted Hang : 3x30s

BL Progression (tuck) : 3x10s

L-Sit Progression : 3x10s

XR Horizontal Pull-Up : 3xFailure

XR Push-Up : 3xFailure

XR Dip : 3xFailure

Summary :

Really feel like i'm making progress. I am trying to get in a routine. I'll be working on my FSP's and XR's at least 3xWeek.

at the end of the workout, I was practicing my L-sit a little and held it for about 5 seconds. I'm not very strong so my form kinda sucks. Just wanted to add a pic. :D

daphaniee

LeanGains - http://www.leangains.com

I started this program 3 days ago and so far I feel great. I will update as I progress.

*As of Today* 8/30/11

Starting Weight : 145 - 5'2"

Body Fat Est.- 24.8%

Bench Press (max) 105lbs. x2

Deadlift : (max) ? I'll find this out tomorrow

Squat : (max) 143lbs x 2

Pull Up's - 6 (BW)

Chin Up - 2 (BW)

Push Up - 31 (BW)

1,350 cal - (Rest Day) Low Carb, High Protein, Moderate Fat

1,600 cal - (Training Day) Higher Carb, High Protein, Lower Fat

mikelmarion

fantastic!

daphaniee

Thanks Mike! :)

Also, really digging the Leangains. I think I have found something I can see myself sticking with for a very long time.

I'd also like to say that I am really noticing strength gains when I am doing mini training sessions on the rings. I can tell that my back is getting stronger when I am doing my BL progressions. I can also do 3 360's (Skin the Cats) in a row which I could not even do 1 a few weeks ago. The last of the 3 is pretty tough, but I make it around. Once I recover from this intense soreness in my shoulders and tris I will make a progress video.

daphaniee

Friday WOD : Doing this at home today

Pre-Workout supp. CGT-10 (20g 45 min prior) Fasted (Technically body metabolized any sugars in the PWO supp. so by 45m I'm back to fasted state.)

Warm up :

A little stretching.

1 Round, 60s each of :

Plank -

R Plank

Hollow Hold

Arch Hold

PB Support

Static Chin

Workout :

Reverse Pyramid Style

Flat Bench Press w/DB - 60lbx2/7reps - 40lbx2/14reps - 20lbx1/20reps

Weighted Chin-Up 15lbx1/2 reps - 10lbx1/3reps - BWx1/4reps

Power Clean + Press w/DB's - 40lb/1set/10 reps (little awkward w DB's)

Ready to break fast! Feel Like I did a good workout.

Quick Start Test Smith

Hey! You're doing great! :D

Rafael David

The girls are invading the GB!!! That's cool! :)

Vincent Stoyas

You rock climb too? What level of bouldering do you do?

daphaniee

Thanks all! I have been a climber since January of this year. I have been doing bouldering and recently tried top rope which I like. I'd consider myself a V2 boulderer and can do select V3's. On top rope I have done some easier 5.10's. I hope I'm better next year.

daphaniee

Weight : 148 (gained 3lbs so far...) I'm not discouraged, I'm sure it's just LBM. :D

I am now weight training every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I have decided to throw a little cardio today and on all Thursdays to speed up fat loss.

Yesterday's W/O

Oly Bar Bench Press

95lbsx5

75lbsx10

65lbsx15

45lbsx20

Overhead Shoulder Press w/DB's

60lbsx5

40lbsx10

30lbsx15

Incline Press w/DB's

50lbsx8

40lbsx10

30lbsx15

DB Shrug

60x5

40x10

30x15

Bent Over Row

80x5

60x10

40x10

30x15

Flat Bench Press w/DB's

60x8

50x10

30x15

I did a lower body workout at the climb gym on Monday which consisted of squats, a little ab work and lots of calf raises. Legs still sore and it's Thursday! :P Today I'm throwing in a little cardio in the fed state just to speed up fat loss. I hope it helps some. I'm still keeping my calories in range, go me.

Vincent Stoyas
daphaniee said:
Thanks all! I have been a climber since January of this year. I have been doing bouldering and recently tried top rope which I like. I'd consider myself a V2 boulderer and can do select V3's. On top rope I have done some easier 5.10's. I hope I'm better next year.

Excellent! Are these indoor ratings or outdoors?

Have you felt an improvement in climbing while doing gymnastics training? I haven't been able to climb for a while and now that I'm doing this type of training, I really want to climb again. I feel like I'm much more in control of my body and stronger too.

daphaniee
Vincearoo said:
daphaniee said:
Thanks all! I have been a climber since January of this year. I have been doing bouldering and recently tried top rope which I like. I'd consider myself a V2 boulderer and can do select V3's. On top rope I have done some easier 5.10's. I hope I'm better next year.

Excellent! Are these indoor ratings or outdoors?

Have you felt an improvement in climbing while doing gymnastics training? I haven't been able to climb for a while and now that I'm doing this type of training, I really want to climb again. I feel like I'm much more in control of my body and stronger too.

They are indoor. I have done a little outdoor bouldering while I was in Estes Park, Colorado. I do notice a little so far, especially with bringing my legs up (L-sit practice helped my core a lot) I'm sure I will notice a lot more as I keep on. I tried doing a workout on my XR's yesterday, but it was a no go due to the fact that I worked out upper body hard the day before.

daphaniee

Today's Fasted W/O (Pre WO - Serving of Modern BCAA )

Not much of a warm up, kinda pressed for time. Really wished I did more of a warm up though.

Deadlifts

WU set - 65x5

115x5

115x5

95x10

95x10

65x20

Clean + Press

65x5

Weighted Pull-Up

15x3

10x2

BWx3

Not much to it, but I did it :D

daphaniee

My workout @ work on 9/16 last week

Fasted - with 20oz water + BCAA's

Bench Press

115x1 (yes! lol) (will try to get a vid tonight)

95x5

75x10

55x20

Seated Shoulder Press with DB

60lbs (total) x 5

50x10

40x10

Incline DB Press

50x8

40x10

30x15

Shoulder Shrugs with DB's

70x9

50x10

40x15

Rows with DB's

45lb weight, 5 reps per side

30lb weight, 8 per side

20lb weight, 10 per side

Flat Bench Press with DB's

60x8

50x10

40x15

just a small update to my log.

I haven't been logging as I should, but I am still doing my 3 day a week lifting. (Bench press, deadlift, and squat days). I do additional exercises like weighted pull-ups, dumbell rows, dips and knee raises. My PB L-Sit is getting better and I haven't done a ring workout in a while. I can also do one pull up/reverse dip?? while in an inverted hang. I could not even do anything close to that before so I believe my lifting is really helping my core and overall strength :) Also, a storm came by and snapped about 8 huge pine trees in my backyard.. one of them had a good limb that I was using my XR's on. :( Tonight I am going to the gym to do some bouldering and today is bench day.

Benched 115x1 that ^^ night again. Left phone in the car so I didn't get any vids.

daphaniee

I still haven't forgotten about this Log. A storm came through and destroyed my tree that I used to hang the rings on. I have been focusing on weightlifting and have made good progress. I can hold an L-Sit with almost perfect form for 3 rounds of 10 seconds. My ring strength has gotten better. I currently have them hanging from my pull-up bar on the doorframe and I still use my pl bars from time to time. I'm planning to take them to work where there is a tall squat rack with a solid pull-up bar to hang them from and practice ring strength on those days. I'm just happy that I have gotten stronger and can do more things now just from my weight training around the big three, squat, deadlift, and benchpress.

current PB's

deadlift - 225x1 (I could have knocked out three if I really tried!)

Benchpress 125x1

Squat - 165x3 (I have stopped adding weight to my squats and I'm trying to hang around 155 and doing full range of motion, butt to ground)