This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110815

Started by Coach Sommer, August 14, 2011 · 15 Replies · 2,588 Views

Coach Sommer

trvd6vsIE2o

Perform three rounds:

5 GHR

10 Overhead Lunges

60m Backward Sled Sprint

5 Weighted HLL

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

notes:

1) This workout should be performed as a modified giant set. To this end perform the GHR then rest 60 sec, perform the Overhead Lunges (alternate legs on each rep for a total of 5 reps on each leg) then rest 60 sec, perform the Backwards Sled Sprint then rest 60 sec, finally perform the weighted HLL and then rest 5 minutes before beginning the next modified giant set.

2) Add as much weight as possible to all of today’s exercises. Be meticulous in using a full ROM with a moderate tempo.

3) The Overhead Lunges are performed by holding a weight (bar, plate, KB, DB, sandbag etc) with fully extended arms over head and then stepping forward onto the right leg. Go deep enough on the step forward so that the rear left knee gently brushes the ground. Under no circumstances should the rear knee either hit or bounce off of the ground. Return to a stand and repeat on the other side. This would equal two reps.

4) The Overhead Lunges may either be performed traveling forward by bringing the rear leg up or by remaining stationary by bringing the front leg back on each repetition.

5) Add sufficient weight to the backward sled/tire sprints to make the sprints quite challenging; the running should be very strenuous. If you do not have enough room for a 60m continuous sprint, then sprint 30m out and then 30m back (this is what my team athletes do).

6) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground in front of you while you are sprinting backward, have a partner pulling against you during the sprint with a long strap.

7) Do not forget the aggregate straddle L work at the end of today's workout.

Joshua Naterman

I love these days! Backwards tire sprints are really hard. I've started incorporating a few rows while doing these too, which feels really good.

I'll be subbing 5 NLC for the GHR since I don't have the ideal setup for them right now, and for the sake of my shoulders I'll be doing the lunges with the weight on the front of my shoulders instead of overhead.

Time to get busy!!!

Alex Solis

Is this WOD rx'd for Monday?

Coach Sommer
Is this WOD rx'd for Monday?

As the WOD is dated 8/15 and tomorrow is Monday the 15th of Aug ... 8)

Tomorrow's GB WOD has been posted early as I am leaving today for the 2011 Visa Championships.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alex Solis

Lol, didn't know that the last 3 digits of the numbers 110815, etc. were the month and day. Sorry Coach, anyways thanks a lot for these wonderful WODs!!

Joshua Naterman

Good luck at the Visa!

Josh Schmitter
slizzardman said:
I love these days! Backwards tire sprints are really hard. I've started incorporating a few rows while doing these too, which feels really good.

+1 on the tire sprints...although in the rain today, will make it a little easier on the wet grass :).

How are you incorporating the rows if ya got a sec ?

shyung

I can't 5GHR.........

I can't slow down....

I'm only drop fast....(It is not exercise... It is gag...)

so... What can I do... ??

I need exchange that....

Falcon

Three rounds:

5 GHR (on the ground with slight assistance of hands, but it's getting better)

10 Overhead Lunges

60m Backward Sled Sprint (I made a sled, LOL, I just hope the cement bags will hold the rope in place)

5 L to V HLL (maybe more than five, IDK, I've never done them)

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation. (straddle L hurts my forearms because of the lean, but I'll see.)

It started to rain now, looks like a storm is coming, and I'm starting with the WOD in 1 hour, this will be very interesting and... wet.

Josh Schmitter

WOD:Rests as Rx'd

5 Half GHR

10 OH Lunges w/ 23kg plate

60m Backward Tire Sprint

5 HLL half

4x15s Straddle Bent/Low (always try to go just far enough where the hip flexor cramping begins)

-OH Lunges were fun. Did them inside, alt. stepping forward and backward...with a sleeping baby this necessitated perfect form...i.e. no stomping, noise...just slick and smooth as a buttered fox.

-Tire Sprints too easy at first as I did them in the rain on the sidewalk, added some rocks. I'm used to grass where there is a lot more friction. Doing these barefoot also did wonders for the blisters that were already on the balls of my feet :)

end.

Philip Chubb

Had to do a lot of editing for this one since I am afraid of any weighted leg work increasing the size of my legs (I know...) and doing things one armed/legged

One Leg GHR 5

10 Shrimps

60m Backward Sprint

5 One Arm HLL

60 Seconds MSH

Knee Prehab

Ankle Prehab

Neck Prehab

Squatchy

3 rounds

5 GHR - half

10 weighted OH lunge (40lb weighted vest and (2) 20lb db's) since this wasn't as heavy as I could go, I did them using almost no assistance from the back leg during the lunge to make it harder

60m backward sprint (up a hill with weight vest and db's)

5 HLL (on the concentric, straight legged to half then tuck up higher, and straight leg back all the way down on the negatives)

60s agg straddle L (15-20s holds, switched between rings and db's on the floor)

blackmonster

Did three rounds of:

5x GHR Halfs with my truck as an anchor using my arms as a assist on the bottom of the movement.

10x Jumping Overhead Lunges holding a pallet overhead (it was in the yard)

60m Backward Sprints uphill. It was too late at night to be dragging anything around my neighborhood without disturbing my neighbors :(

5x XR HLL (didnt have a pullup bar so XR is the next best thing! )

Finish with 60 seconds total of straddle L variations:

2x 15 second Straddle L low holds on parallettes

2x 15 second Straddle L One Hand Center holds

Im still pretty sore from training yesterday, so scaling things back a bit was definitely on the menu.

And as always, Thanks Coach! :)

blackmonster
shyung said:
I can't 5GHR.........

I can't slow down....

I'm only drop fast....(It is not exercise... It is gag...)

so... What can I do... ??

I need exchange that....

I cant do them stand alone either. I have to assist myself near the bottom of the movement with my finger tips. I assist only as much as I need to complete the movement and still keep it challenging. (im only doing halfs though, not the entire thing as i dont have anything to successfully do it on yet ) I dont have a workout partner to anchor me so I lodge my feet on each side of my trucks rear tire so my legs wont move.

Im sure there is a better way than I am using, but Im just using it as an example.

I hope this helps.

Tyler Schmitz

WOD:

Performed at park

3 rds:

5 NLC

14 Killers

8 SLS

5 HLL

4 x15 Low Straddle L (just starting back at this; have lost some active flexibility)

LIE

3rds

5 band assisted NLC

10 keg hugging lunge

15 backward band

5 weighted HLL

3x20 PB straddle L

Stretching and shoulder band rehab