Press Handstand On Rings

Started by Robert Charlton, August 13, 2011 · 3 Replies · 5,319 Views

Robert Charlton

these past few weeks i have been progressing painfully slow through all the basic FSP's and FBE's, so i am thinking of trying something new. I know alot of you are probably thinking, "patience is the key" "make haste, slowly" etc, but please bear with me.

i am thinking of working soley upon press handstands, but more specifically, L-sit - Pike press handstand, along with which the four day a week workout would look something like this:

3x10's l-sit

3x10's tuck planche (or further)

3x10's Tuck sit (or v-sit if easy)

2x30s Handstand hold

2x7 Pike Press HS against wall

2x7 HSPU

2x7 V-ups

Once L-sit -> pike press HS is achieved proceed to work the move on rings.

Now, the objective of such a goal, is to develop a solid gymnastic base, the fastest way possible, and it is logic that the more specific the goal (the less elements), the faster it will be achieved. I can think of no better movement to choose than the press handstand.

The question that i am asking has a few parts:

- Is this the move to be working on?

- Is this the most efficient workout to obtain this move?

- Is there anything you would change?

Lastly, for people who are wondering what level i am at(if it matters), i can complete this workout, 6''2' tall, and 6% body fat.

Any help or comments are appreciated :)

Joshua Naterman

You can do it that way if you want, but I think you'll be making a mistake if you aren't doing quite a bit of band work for the traps and shoulder muscles. I would add that in at the end. If you have a good freestanding HS press in pike or straddle you should certainly start doing partial HS press lifts with straight arms on the rings. That's a pretty hard skill to master, but even working on it consistently without ever accomplishing it will pay off big time. If you don't have a solid press HS for a few reps on the ground it probably is too early to work on the rings but I don't know. Perhaps someone with more experience in press HS development will step in here.

Tarun Suri

If you're not at straddle level yet, working on sets of lower than 15s 4x a week seems tough on the joints. I'd recommend going down a progression and accumulate more volume.

Robert Charlton

Thankyou to both of you;

I have added in some of that extra work at the end Slizzardman, and also increased hold times to 3x20's on the progression below :) just did the workout, and feel pretty good.

I look forward to see how things pan out, and thankyou for your advice :)

-Crimsonsun