wrist wrap for rings?

Started by newguy5000, August 12, 2011 · 5 Replies · 11,901 Views

newguy5000

Apologies if this has been asked before. I did a quick search but couldn't find an answer. At the end of every workout i do 2 or 3 Muscle ups on the rings. It never bothered my wrists before, but now that i am starting to do them much more slowly and with strict form i am starting to feel a bit of a wear and tear on the part of my wrist that sits on the rings when using false grip.

I was wondering if people bother wrapping their wrists for this to help soften the contact point between wrist and ring? I don't need wraps for any extra support, my wrists are strong enough, it's just for the wear and tear aspect of grinding the wrist against the ring over time.

Or do i just need to eat some concrete and harden up? :)

Freeflyer

Coach has suggested many times a piece of athletic (or medical) tape on that part of the wrist to help with the rubbing.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Yes, I do. I use two two feet pieces of an old elastic knee wrap and it makes all the difference. If you want to use tape, first wrap a strip of an old sheet around your wrist before using the tape. Removing tape can be a little painful until you have removed all the hair from your wrists. I also use climbing chalk to minimize the rubbing on my hands when holding a false grip.

newguy5000

thanks for the replies guys. I will try those out next week :)

newguy5000

just tried some athletic tape that my brother had. Just lightly put it a couple times around my wrist and it makes a big difference on the chafing against my wrist tendons during muscle ups. Thanks for the info!

newguy5000

Got a new idea as i don't want to keep applying athletic tape every week. I got some old cheap boxing wraps i had in my drawer from 10 years ago, cut them down so they are a short length and sewed the velcro bit back to the shortened strap. So there is enough length to hang the first bit off my thumb as usual and then a couple of wraps on the wrist. Works fine so far when i tested it.