This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Blackmonster's Training Log

Started by blackmonster, August 10, 2011 · 37 Replies · 2,477 Views

blackmonster
slizzardman said:
hey you're in athens! If you want to work out once in a while let me know, I'm in atlanta.

Yes, for sure. I cant find anyone else to workout with me, they all think Im a crazy man for working out the way I do anyway! :) Ill let ya know when Im in the Atl area. Its good to have neighbours.

Joshua Naterman

Awesome! I'll PM you better contact information.

blackmonster

Just finished the WOD, and I must say that I was feeling pretty weak tonight. Im feeling better afterwards but I just didnt feel very motivated tonight. I believe that it had to do with being really stressed out about rebuilding the server at work all day today. Im almost done with it, but Im still worried about something going wrong. Its funny what nerves will do to your workout!

Well, I know I will be good after a good solid day of rest. Off to get some sleep now!

blackmonster

(Belated post for yesterday)

Ran 5 miles with a friend of mine last night. Ended up getting rained on, and got to see a nice lightning shower out in the distance.

(Post for today)

I'm very excited! I have already made what I thought to be a hardly possible weight goal. My goal was to get down to 195lbs before I went on vacation on Sept 4. I made it on Saturday, and whats better is that I have already surpassed it with time to spare. Im already at my old military weight and in much better shape! Woke up on the scale at 194 this morning ( I always weight myself in first thing in the morning ) and I'm not starving myself to lose all of the weight. All I did was make a couple of dietary changes and Im leaning out the way that I want to.

It's really motivating to see progress after you've been working hard for it!

Oh, speaking of diet I might as well list up some of the more recent changes I have made to what I have been doing. I've taken most of the wheat out where I can. With my sandwiches I will eat the innards as opposed to the bread, and I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables throughout the day. ( most of them during mealtimes though ) Im drinking 2 whey protein shakes a day on workout days, 1 in the am and 1 in the pm. I make sure to get plenty of lean meat in at lunch time ( generally turkey breast, fish, or chicken. Im avoiding red meats )

Just thought Id share what Im doing that has been working for me.

blackmonster

The WOD felt awesome tonight. I definitely needed the rest that I got over the weekend, and I was feeling really strong tonight. My form is improving on my F and B tucked levers. I've been paying attention to my shadow to make sure that my back stays as flat and parallel to the ground as possible. I can't wait for Parkour tomorrow! We always train so hard, and I it's so much fun. I feel like I do something better every week that I show up.

Speaking of working on things, I've also been working on my back tuck a lot and I know that I will have it down and ready to do on the grass in a month or less. I was shooting for this week, but Im still not as consistent with my landings as I would like to be. I don't want to land poorly and have it cost me a few weeks to a month or more of training time to heal up because i was not ready. I am going to work on it some more on the gymnastics floor on Wednesdays ( when i get access to it ) and on some mats I have around my house.

blackmonster

(Belated post for Wednesday)

Had an awesome night at the gym! I didnt get where I was hoping with my back tucks, but I got a lot else done with my upper body.

I beat my old record for HeST PU nailing out 10 of them in a row where I was only about to do 5 without rest a week ago. I felt a lot more solid on the rings too.

I did have a small setback with my front tucks after landing one of them somewhat poorly and straining my L calf somehow but I stayed off of it the rest of the evening until my run and it feels pretty good today.

After gymnastics last night I came home and ran 3 miles with a 1 mile walk at the end of it ( total of 4 miles ). I was hoping to finish the entire 4 nonstop, but my body told me that 3 was enough after everything else I had been doing that evening!

I'm still holding my weight goal at -=195 so that tells me that it's not just water weight that Ive temporarily lost. The real challenge is going to be seeing if I can keep it off while Im on vacation in yellowstone for 5 days. I'll be doing a lot of hiking, and I probably wont have internet access, but I do plan on bringing my rings with me and I'll write down some previous WOD's to take with me as well. I cant wait!

blackmonster

Im feeling really good tonight. Still a little sore from yesterdays gymnastics session, but thats not a bad thing because I know I got a lot done! :) I felt really strong while doing tonights WOD. I felt kind of bad not being able to think up a fitting substitution for a Side Lever Press, but I looked around on everything in my yard and house that would allow me to perform such a manoeuvre without any luck. I really wish I had the money to get my own peg board and put it up in my living room!

If anyone reads this and has any good subs for this workout please let me know, Im all ears ( well, I guess technically its eyes being on a forum and all... )

blackmonster

Im writing this up before I go running tonight. I am so pumped up right now! I can finally do full sets of wrist PU's. It's a really big deal for me because I've been dealing with wrist pains for a really long time, and I've never felt like Ive ever had strong wrists. But here I am at 30 with stronger wrists than I feel like Ive ever had, and they havent been giving me problems since I've been conditioning them with this program. It just really makes me happy to be able to accomplish something that a month ago wasn't even possible without feeling like I was about to break something. What a great way to finish up the week!

blackmonster

Just finished up my 4 mile run. Felt really solid. I did a few wind sprints while running just to keep my heart rate up.

Heading to the grocery store to get some fruits and veggies for breakfast and lunch tomorrow.

blackmonster

Pulled out the rings and played around on them yesterday. I worked on FL and BL (tucked) and transitioning between the two. I also worked on XR support holds and XR Dips. Afterwards I worked on my HeS Straddle and Pike presses.

Ran 5 miles to finish the day up with.

Gonna take Sunday off.

blackmonster

Hey everybody. Im gonna be gone until Sept 11 or 12. Im heading up to Yellowstone tomorrow and will be there for the rest of the week. Ive got my rings with me, and have still been training during my vacation time. I'll be back posting again regularly next week.

blackmonster

Lol! I got out of the habit of posting in here too, so here's to reestablishing habits.

My gym coach challenged us all last week to try something new. We were to start in a HeS with our legs tucked and use them to kip ourselves into a HS. I got it on the first try! After doing that she then showed us a couple of other variations. I got myself into a HS from a pike HeS too. I tried it in a full on HeS to press HS and got it, but I cheesed the form and after that my shoulders were too tired to try more so I didnt count it. I am still really happy that I learned a new skill, and that I am capable of doing such things now.

Oh yea, I am now in the 180's weight wise. I never thought Id ever get down this low, but Ive stuck to eating healthy and working out on a regular basis and it just kind of happened. I've been having to redo my wardrobe yet again because nothing fits me anymore, and it's all getting too baggy for me.

Im pretty sure Im not losing muscle because I know for a fact that I am stronger now than when I started all of this. I can still press my 50lbs kettlebell just as easily ( if not more ) as I always have been able to. I'm taking in over 100g of protein a day on my workout days, and I believe I am eating very soundly nutrition wise.

Anyway, it's off to bed for me. Gotta get some rest.

blackmonster

Had fun at the gym tonight. Worked on sequential front tucks ( unsuccessfully ) on the tumble track, did my first handstand to bridge two times in a row without falling on my back. I somehow managed to pull a muscle in my left leg on the backside near the hip joint. :( It cramped on me when I was working on round offs. I hope it heals soon, but I doubt that it will be much of a setback in my training if it doesnt. I'll just keep working the rings :-)

Stuck around 185lbs, and I know I can lose some more around my lower back area. I'm going to cut back on the fruit and dark chocolate and increase my water intake a little bit to make up for the whey protein shakes Ive added to my diet. We'll see if that trims off the extra weight.