Muscle Ups Tip?

Started by chingyvang, August 8, 2011 · 11 Replies · 5,535 Views

chingyvang

I see that all guys on youtube who can muscle up are all cut as hell, and I mean every single one of them. Right now I can barely do 10 good form pullups, any tips on how to muscle up?

Joshua Naterman

Work the transition specifically. No amount of pull ups or dips will help unless they are specifically geared to strengthening the position. That means false grip pull ups and Russian dips. Start slow and work up. I have a video on this, if you hit my youtube link in my signature you will find it.

chingyvang
slizzardman said:
Work the transition specifically. No amount of pull ups or dips will help unless they are specifically geared to strengthening the position. That means false grip pull ups and Russian dips. Start slow and work up. I have a video on this, if you hit my youtube link in my signature you will find it.

Thanks as always, will surely check out your channel

Freeflyer

Negatives and assisted muscle ups are what helped me get it. Granted mine still aren't pretty, but I am still doing the negatives and assisted ones as well, hah.

For assisted I've used bands, my foot and a pulley system I built. I like the pulley the most, but they all work, especially in conjunction with russian dips and chest to bar pull ups (with a false grip, of course). The assisted ones are great though if you dont have a good place to do russian dips, and they are still too difficult to do on rings (is it weird I find ring russian dips harder than straight muscle ups?).

chingyvang
Nick_EOD said:
Negatives and assisted muscle ups are what helped me get it. Granted mine still aren't pretty, but I am still doing the negatives and assisted ones as well, hah.

For assisted I've used bands, my foot and a pulley system I built. I like the pulley the most, but they all work, especially in conjunction with russian dips and chest to bar pull ups (with a false grip, of course). The assisted ones are great though if you dont have a good place to do russian dips, and they are still too difficult to do on rings (is it weird I find ring russian dips harder than straight muscle ups?).

did you get noticeable muscle gains, in size, from muscle ups?

Freeflyer

Eh, I've definitely gained muscle just doing GB in general, but I am not training for size, I train for strength right now. I also didn't train muscle ups specifically, but just added the assisted ones into my warm ups. So I can't say if anyone of it was from them or not.

Honestly, my legs have grown more than anything, but that is because I am squatting and deadlifting 3x/week.

Ian Legrow

I assume that you are talking about people liek Hannibal King. He is actually the reason I got into gymnastics myself. I was also very aggrivated for a bit becasue I did not look like him nor can I do anything he does. I tried to do a muscle up a couple of times and failed. A couple weeks after i started, I found that Hannibal King, the guys from Beast Mode, and every other person on there have been doing it for a long time. Hannibal king has been working out like that for 17 years so it is going to be very easy for him. After realizing that, i slowed my pace, i went by the progressions i saw in the book and when i was working hard at them, i was able to get three solid on a pull up bar. but it took about 4 to six weeks. i hope this helps. being patient is the best way to go, follow the progrssions from the book and you will get there

Gerald Mangona

In addition to everything said here, you won't be able to do any strict muscle-ups until you can do a full ROM pull-up in control with the bars all the way down to below your armpits. And same on the opposite side...you need to be able to go all the way to the bottom of a dip, probably almost all the way to your shoulders. I can't do either, so I have no muscle-up yet.

J

nf46
JmanDetroit said:
In addition to everything said here, you won't be able to do any strict muscle-ups until you can do a full ROM pull-up in control with the bars all the way down to below your armpits. And same on the opposite side...you need to be able to go all the way to the bottom of a dip, probably almost all the way to your shoulders. I can't do either, so I have no muscle-up yet.

J

Agreed, I got my first muscle-up after doing a 10 sets pull-up workout with minimal rest 2-3x a week. Focusing on the pull-up in this manner helped tremendously, and when I got to 10x4 good reps with about 1min rest between sets, I got my first muscle-up.

norbeex3

I`ve been struggling with this and the question i want to ask is how do you train to pull so high. Ive been training pullups for quite a long time but i dont know how to pull higher. Am i just keep trying and it will go higher? Bit of confusion.

Cole Dano

Assuming you can do a pull up with your chin over the bar and elbows near your side, the next step, is to start to move the elbows back. Try it just sitting at your chair. If you put your hands in pull up position with elbows at the sides your hands will be just higher than the armpits. Rotate the elbows backs and the hands will go below.

This is part of what i'm working on now at least. My goal is a solid muscle up by age 50. (Next December)

Bruno Cochofel

try this topic:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7432