MU's vs Meathead - Gym Throwdowns

Started by newguy5000, August 8, 2011 · 4 Replies · 34,457 Views

newguy5000

I had to go to a local gym today to do my workout. It's a decent gym with four racks for squatting and 1 power rack that is tall enough for me to hang my rings from and get full range Muscle up from knees with straight arms.

So i camped out the power rack, hung my rings and proceeded to do my whole workout inside the rack. L sits on push up bars, wall handstands, muscle ups ect.

The place got packed pretty quickly and this guy saw me doing l sits inside the power rack and lost his mind. He was obviously jacked up on the roids and was as wide as a barn. He loses his mind at me for doing 'girly ab work' and demanded i move aside so the 'real men' could workout and lift some heavy iron. Then he said if there was even one thing i could do in the gym that he couldn't he would wait for a different rack instead.

I said no worries. Let's see you do a muscle up and cranked three out.

I will spare you the hilarity of his MU attempt. Suffice to say he let go of the rings said 'you win' and queued up for another rack!

It was pretty funny. Best of all this old guy was watching and laughing his ass of and turns out he used to be a competitive gymnast in his youth so we ended up having a good chat and i got some good form tips of him.

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA nice!

I hate how those roid guys act. I'm glad you didn't get stuck under a pile of airborne plates lol!

Alvaro

LoL :twisted:

Kevin Conley

HAhahaha!! That is great. Yeah, nothing against weight lifting as it has its own uses, but some people need to remember specificity!

When it comes to gymnastics stuff in a normal weight gym, the best way to show things are not girly are to let them try it.

When I worked out in a YMCA basketball gym (for 4 years off BtGB book, now in Korea doing it elsewhere w00t) the basketball players would always think what I was doing was dumb. After year 2, they would come up and try it and realize that they couldn't come even close~. After that, no one said anything lol. After that, most of them were more curious how I do it and thought it was cool how strong I was getting.

But, people who think they own the place are annoying at the least if there is enough room.

-Prometheus

newguy5000

Yeah it's funny having people watch you oddly. Lucky most people in the gym are pretty cool. I just hope the owner doesn't have a break down about me hanging rings.

I like the iron too. I have begun rotating Deadlifting and Squatting back in for my leg movements. I'never deadlifted or squatted consistantly, only on and off. I used a trap bar for the last four weeks and now going back to a regular bar feels weird. My pull is ok but i feel i have terrible form lowering the weight.

I personally find Gymnastics is just more fun than standard weight lifting. Like i have never been someone who could work out just to get strong or just to look good. It always had to have a sport or skill element. I was so excited when i got my first MU. Now it's like i want to get it perfectly strict. I want to perfect handstands and walking handstands, ring handstands, levers ect. Its exciting to learn new physical skills. So i train to get strong because i need to be strong in order to these cool fun moves. Might take me a few years but that's cool.