Problem I need solving

Started by Ant18, August 7, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,687 Views

Ant18

So I want to start training on the Gymnastic rings but I have a problem, my room's ceiling is plastered so If I tried any sort of exercise I think I would pull the whole ceiling down, so I just want to ask if anyone else has had this problem before and how did they solve it or can anyone solve this problem that I and many people probably have? if you can, thanks but however answer away please :)

Uzeeh

I've got a same kind of ceiling and decided not to use it, but just put the rings on a tree branch.

Ant18

=/ I might try the tree branch but that limits my ability to train in the winter, like really far in the winter which I don't pertically want.

Richard Hamilton

Ant, a tree will work for now but having a rings set up indoors is handy for when the weather isn't so great.

I'm sure its been mentioned somewhere else but here goes...

Cut some small square holes in the ceiling to find the joists for sure (the plasterboards will be fixed to these). If the plasterer has done a crap job you may be able to see cracks where the boards meet and this will indicate where the joists run. Once you've found the joist you want to fix to, drill some pilot holes, use your choice of fixing so you feel its safe and fix the rings.

If you're careful and cut the plasterboard out with a pad saw you can lay a piece of baton across the hole (same side as joist, fix the ceiling to it and then screw the cutout to the baton you just fixed. You should be left with a thin square outline to fill.

Jobs a good un :D

Oh, and when cutting the holes take it easy, there will be some electrics and plumbing in the ceiling void somewhere. If you come across some unusual resistance back off and cut in another direction

If you live in a very modern house you may have a suspended ceiling with plasterboards fixed to a system of metal tracking in which case its not really gonna happen though not impossible as there will probably be a concrete floor slab somewhere above the ceiling.

If you live in a very old place you may have a lathe and plaster ceiling, this is easier but use a dust mask and safety specs as you'll be making a lot more mess and will have much more patching up/faffing to do. Take care as once you start chipping away at it a whole slab of plaster may want to come down suddenly. Give the ceiling a tap in various places first and if you come across parts that sound hollow then its likely to be unstable.

Hope this is of help :)

Ant18

Thanks, I was going to do that but the owners don't feel to comfertable with me doing so, thanks for that though It may help me and other people in the future :). But I was thinking about hanging a stud bar up on the wall and then hanging my rings up, opinions? even though its more coastly it's somewhere to put my rings in the winter :)