Taping Rings?

Started by newguy5000, August 5, 2011 · 5 Replies · 9,528 Views

newguy5000

Hi guys quick question and i apologise if it is an oft repeated one. I tried a quick search but couldn't find my answer.

The rings i use are the ones from Coach Sommer. I never tried any others until yesterday when i did my normal training in the corner of a crossfit facility while my girlfriend worked out. They use Elite rings and they have them taped. I prefer Coach's rings for a lot of reasons, however i noticed the tape made my false grip way way way stronger than when i train false grips on non taped rings.

To show you the kind of difference. I can do about 2- 30 seconds feet on the ground false grip on my rings.

With the taped rings i could pretty much hold that position forever and i even turned my wrists out to get full extension and held it quite easily. When i try this on non taped rings my wrist slides off.

So to my question. Is there any benefit to continue to train my false grip on non taped rings or is it worth me adding a bit of tape to my rings? will working out my false grip on non taped rings eventually lead to superiour grip / wrist strength? any answers much appreciated. Aside from my weak false grip i have no other problems gripping or holding onto coach's rings in any way. Also i have not used chalk yet either.

Michael Miskelly

I don't know the answer to increasing grip strength but just as a preference of my own I have a tennis racket grip on both of my rings. As you say it is easier to false grip on them and it doesnt leave my hands as messed up with calouses, the other reason I use it is that it doesn't matter that my hands sweat because I can still maintain my grip whereas on the ring material this is not the case. Also if I had chalk all over the place in my garage I would be constantly cleaning it!

newguy5000

hmm yeah think i am going to get some kind of grip thing. Either chalk or tape and see how it goes.

Jeremy Kieley

Has anyone ever used Liquid Chalk? Seems cleaner and just as good as chalk but since I haven't used it, it would be great to hear peoples opinions of it.

Tarun Suri

I remember liquid chalk being discussed on the forums. I think GymGreg was talking about them, but my memory is not my strong point these days. Explore using the search function.

Jeremy Kieley

Thanks, I completely forgot about using the search when I asked the question.

Looks like Liquid Chalk is really good but it can start to stain things it gets on. Not sure if all brands do this or just some.

An alternative Blairbob suggested was the Eco Ball: http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/eco_ball.html