My (not) straight handstand

Started by Oldrich Polreich, August 3, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,293 Views

Oldrich Polreich

Hello

I've been training handstands for around a year and i thought my handstand is quite straight. Today, I took this photo: http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6586/stojka8338.jpg and i was very dissapointed with myself. This is the straightest handstand i'm able to do. I can clearly see that my shoulders are not as open as they should be, but what really bothers me is body line :(

What should i do? Some special exercises, or just continue the handstand work with emphasis on opening the shoulders?

Also, my friend (Falcon here on forum) suggested, that this problem could be related to my poor pose. (Photo: http://i53.tinypic.com/10wjomw.jpg) I've been very "humpy" (I hope its the right word :D ) in my childhood and i'm still fighting with it now :(

I will be glad for any advice.

Tarun Suri

Thoracic mobility and keeping a tight core seems to be what's lacking.

Cole Dano

Its not that bad.

The first thing that comes to my mind is see what happens if you just try bringing your feet forward. It may be you will naturally compensate from the midbody and straighten out.

Of course the basic body line drills are essential beginning with regular hollow hold work.

Shoulder opening work will also need to be addressed. One way to do this actively is to lay face down on the floor and with your hands shoulder width apart lift them as high as possible from the floor, or lay on your back and try to touch them to the floor.

Joshua Naterman

I agree, that isn't so bad!

Hollow work will definitely help and so will massaging and then stretching the lats and long head of the triceps, and perhaps lower and mid traps. Between those two you should be able to have a fantastic handstand fairly quickly.