Ring strength series 1 progress

Started by Freeflyer, August 2, 2011 · 9 Replies · 2,129 Views

Freeflyer

disclaimer: The video quality is for some reason really crappy. When I open the file in windows media player it is much clearer and brighter. But no matter what I do, every time I upload the file to youtube it turns out really dark and shitty. I've tried both HD and standard (it was filmed in 1080...). So if anyone has any ideas, please tell me, and I will put up better quality videos. Same camera in all 3, so I dont know why the one from a few weeks ago looks so much better...

The first two are my second and third sets from today. The final video is a ring strength series from about 5 weeks ago.

Please feel free to critique away on the more recent ones if you can make anything out. My skills are all still developing, so if it is a strength issue, it is in progress. If it is a technique issue, please let me know

Please critique my form from these first 2 videos

RHjPqSSihKw

4novElZWNW0

This video is from about 5 weeks ago. Just to show progress.

_f39CuB3XJE

Niels Joergensen

very nice :)!

Point your toes when in L sit

Lower slowly to inverted hang instead of dropping into it

and try to straighten out your body more in BL. You look a bit too hollowed

But again nice work :)!

Freeflyer

Thanks.

I try to point my toes on the L-sit, but oddly I feel like I can't hold tension as well when I do. My pointed toe l-sit is worse than my flexed one, which is pretty bad...

I will have to work on lower more slowly into the inverted pike. Honestly, i've been kinda confused as to the right way to do it.

I am trying to straighten out that back lever. I am pretty close to an advanced tuck from what I can see. I just still have a slight bend in the lower back... Just need to get stronger everywhere, lol.

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

i liked your videos, they are really nice!

i think you should try to control the transition beetween positions, as you where already told...

but i think you are in a good way =)

greetings from mexico, and sorry for the bad english..

Tarun Suri

Nick, rather than use the one legged positions, focus on the first progression on the back lever, but make sure you use the palms facing down grip. I only saw the third vid, but I assume it applies to your other ones too.

Freeflyer
RandomHavoc said:
Nick, rather than use the one legged positions, focus on the first progression on the back lever, but make sure you use the palms facing down grip. I only saw the third vid, but I assume it applies to your other ones too.

if you actually get to see the first two, you will see I did go hack to a tuck back lever, almost adv tuck. Also worked on my palms as well. The third video was my from a while ago, and I've tried correcting things since then

gymgreg

Biggest point I see is a lack in pulling strength. I think that's why you can not control the transitions.

And definitely work your BL progressions with palms facing downwards, even if that means taking a step back. You need to strengthen the elbow area to get ready for the harder stuff. By turning the hands the wrong way you avoid that.

If you don't do that, you sooner or later will have to go back and re-learn the whole move with correct hand placement.

Freeflyer
gymgreg said:
Biggest point I see is a lack in pulling strength. I think that's why you can not control the transitions.

And definitely work your BL progressions with palms facing downwards, even if that means taking a step back. You need to strengthen the elbow area to get ready for the harder stuff. By turning the hands the wrong way you avoid that.

If you don't do that, you sooner or later will have to go back and re-learn the whole move with correct hand placement.

Something I'm confused about here. When you say palms facing down, do you mean hands are actually over the rings like in a false grip? Or just a normal grip facing to the rear. I've read it both ways and it has thrown me off

Yeah, my pulling strength has been coming along very slowly.

barrett

yes, palms are on top the rings. if you were performing BL with palms up, your fingers would be on top of the rings. he means like this:

MontoyaBackLever_th.jpg

Tarun Suri

Chin up grip, then backwards roll. Palms will be facing towards the ground and not up like the third video. Using a false grip while doing it is slightly more difficult (assuming false grip is hard for you, as it is for me). But it helps a ton in transitioning movements.