Gymnastic Ring Questions

Started by CalisthenicGod, July 31, 2011 · 6 Replies · 2,956 Views

CalisthenicGod

Okay I admit, I have a lot of questions but that is because I am trying to learn and by asking questions and getting answers, I will improve and who knows, some people might have had the same questions as me and they might find the same answers I was looking for.

Putting that aside, I am ordering my rings soon and I am wondering what is the significance of RTO (Rings Turned Out). I don't know what it means and what it's good for or what is the purpose for it. In BtGB, Coach mentions your hands should be turned 45 degrees out, what is it for? Why not just do a regular neutral grip support similar to doing one on parallel bars? I do not understand the concept of turning your hands out and it's purpose and benefits.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

MichaelLee

IMO It's harder because it requires more balance and less of your arm is touching the straps/rings (if any).

It also makes me straighten my arm out more when I do it...

CalisthenicGod
MichaelLee said:
IMO It's harder because it requires more balance and less of your arm is touching the straps/rings (if any).

It also makes me straighten my arm out more when I do it...

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense I guess, but do you do it for every ring exercise?

AlexX

It serves one very important purpose: It is your first introduction to strengthening the bicep area for straight arm work. Support is the easiest in the variations then you move on to things like handstands (with rings turned out)/backlevers (with palms facing back) and eventually to iron cross.

CalisthenicGod
AlexX said:
It serves one very important purpose: It is your first introduction to strengthening the bicep area for straight arm work. Support is the easiest in the variations then you move on to things like handstands (with rings turned out)/backlevers (with palms facing back) and eventually to iron cross.

Alright, thanks bro

So the basic ring support is having your hands turned out slightly by 45 degrees from a regular neutral grip support (a PB support)?

AlexX
CalisthenicGod said:
AlexX said:
It serves one very important purpose: It is your first introduction to strengthening the bicep area for straight arm work. Support is the easiest in the variations then you move on to things like handstands (with rings turned out)/backlevers (with palms facing back) and eventually to iron cross.

Alright, thanks bro

So the basic ring support is having your hands turned out slightly by 45 degrees from a regular neutral grip support (a PB support)?

No, the RTO (Rings Turned Out) support hold is with your palms facing completely away from the body (think maltese position but your body is straight up). The support you are describing is one used for a ring handstand.

newguy5000

To answer from a beginner's perspective. I have been training ring support for 30 seconds as part of my warm up for the last four weeks using neutral grip and straight body. Last week did the 30 seconds with Rings turned out instead. After the warm up i went to my L sits on my PB bars as per normal. My arms shook the entire time i did L sits and it felt like my arms were fried. Only difference in training was using RTO on the support.