This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Success is going from failure to failure without stopping

Started by JoshuaL, July 26, 2011 · 4 Replies · 673 Views

JoshuaL

The subject to this diary is a paraphrased Churchill quote.

The first time I took my rings to the park, I was hooked. I had been dabbling in fitness for sometime when I got those tiny little wooden rings, the single page instruction manual completely underselling them. I decided to take them to a little park tucked between a few busy roads. I bogarted the swings for an hour, completely exhausting myself with effort.

I am almost 27 years old. A bit flabby, weak, with a history of picking habits up, trying for a while, and then giving up when things become difficult. This time is different. I have come back from the brink, battled through my apathy, and am now at a place where I want to try. Actually, I need to try, and I need to fail, and when I fail I need to try again. I need to learn humility and perseverance, I am finally ready to commit. I have seen where the other direction takes me, to a life of mediocrity and weakness, moral and physical. No one is born to greatness, some people are just willing to work harder.

Enough dramatization, this journal will help me organize myself, and track my progress. I intend to write entries Monday through Friday, most weekdays, unless I am on vacation.

July 25th, 2011

Mondays are tough for some reason, always have been. No excuses.

I got up at 6am for some joint warmup. On all fours, spinal flexion and extension, then bending left /right, still on all fours. Spine warmup. Stand up, shoulder rolls, elbow rolls, wrist thing which I read once in a pavel book, do those each a couple of times. Touch toes curling down one vertbrate at a time, then up, bend in the thoracic cage, repeat. Gentle left right twists, feet fixed, left right bending, hip circles, then knees, ankles, let us call this the morning joint warmup for brevity.

morning

After warming up the joints, I start the timer. 60 minutes, and start the morning circuit. The latest incarnation looks like:

3x Coach's wrist pushups

3x Superman's, try to hold at maximum extension for a few seconds

3x full back arch, Working really hard on straightening arms, shoulder's over hands, bending in the thoracic spine, keeping core engaged, not there yet. Hold for 5 seconds at top

3x V sits, hold them for a few seconds while doing hip circles to hit the obliques

Move to parallettes

L sit with slow side to side movement of legs, I can hold this for 10-15 seconds

Planche work, right now I can just do a little tuck for maybe 10 seconds

Straddle sit, 10 seconds

Repeat the above series 3 times

Handstand descents on the wall 3x

Then I do these one legged squats, not sure what they are called. Like a lunge, but come down on the knee of the back leg. Before the squat, I swing my leg from the inside, slowly to perpendicular to my body, then rotate the foot downward, bring the leg back behind me, all while standing on the ball of the supporting leg. I reverse the leg swing after the squat.

I do this entire series over and over until the timer goes off.

When the timer goes off, I stretch a bit, shoulders, forearms, loosen the tension.

Breakfast

Big bowel of hempseed and granola with raw milk and two tablespoons nutritional yeast.

work

Every hour I do the following:

5x First knuckle push up

1x 30 second push up

1x 15 second frog balance on hands

3x push ups with legs suspended on back of chair

1x 20 second v sit, trying to raising legs as high I can

1x 10 second standing leg lift while on the ball of the supporting leg, swing to rear leg lift for 10 seconds(each side)

1x 10 second Perpendicular leg lift rotating foot after 5 seconds to parallel to ground(each side)

3x squats, hold the last squat at parallel to ground for 15 seconds

At lunch I also do 45 minutes of cardio and:

3x pull ups, I would like to do dead hang, but my arms have been too beat lately so I do them from standing

3x leg lifts to the bar

3x L sit dips, though I have to admit the L gets a little sloppy during the descent

lunch

16oz low fat cottage cheese

Large salad, probaly 150 grams, with fatty dressing

Gluten free bread and peanut butter to full

evening

After work is no time to rest

60 minutes pole climbing. The pole is about 12 feet high, and I climb the pole, descend as slow as possible, then take a 15-30 second break and repeat.

60 minutes rings. Right now my ring workout is really weak. Yesterday I would do one L sit, followed by 3 crappy pull ups, or 5 body rows. Plenty of room to improve here.

Then I stretch. I hold the following for 15 seconds:

Clasp hands behind back, over shoulder and under shoulder

Clasp hands behind back, both arms under shoulder

Clasp hands in front of body, lift to maximum extension of shoulder girdle

Lizard stretches

Straddle splits + pancake(nowhere near flat)

Pike

Cobbler's pose

Forarm stretches

Quad strech(knees bent to full flexion, feet under butt)

Lay on back and stretch hamstrings, psoas, hip abductors

Plow

Arch

Roll and unroll spine a few times

Grab knees

Ground angels to stretch shoulder girdle

Knees to left and right to stretch lower back

Lastly I decompress my spine on the pull up bar, first hanging, then legs over bar, then a german hang, for about 20-30 seconds.

dinner

Sweet sweet reward. I need to eat a massive dinner to power this workout, I usually go to the coop and have whatever hot food they have prepared. Usually tofu, or seitan, or tempeh, with veggies. I wash it all down with some nonfat yogurt.

Post dinner prehab

30 minutes hand gyroscope

JoshuaL

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011

Second day was much like the first.

Morning warmup

60 minutes morning circuit

granola for breakfast

Hourly pushups / squats at work

Lunch break for 45 minutes cardio and pull ups / hlls / dips

Lunch of cottage cheese salad and bread

After work, 60 minutes pole, 60 minutes rings(though I was so beat by the rings I did ring pushups / ring body rows, until my shoulders were sore, and I just rowed)

Stretched everything out

Sensible dinner

50 minutes hand gyro before bedtime

I am going to cut out some of the processed carbs from my lunch for Thursday.

JoshuaL

Wednesday, July 27th, 2011

My shoulders were beat from all the climbing, so I did some prehab work and focused on static holds.

I have added a lot more hand flexor work, and work with dexterity balls, as well as shoulder stands(not the yoga kind, the balance on one arm kind)

Also focusing more on core and back.

Afterwork I just went to the park for 2 hours to work on hand stands and wall walking into arches.

A person can only train as hard as their diet will allow, so I have decided to make some serious dietary changes. I am a vegetarian, so protein has always been an issue. In addition, I eat a lot of carbs. I have decided to drastically cut back the amount of grains in my diet, and doubly my cottage cheese intake. This way I can cut out all the tofu and seitan and grains. I will report back later with the results.

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi, Joshua,

If you have trouble getting enough protein, maybe you can get some at True Protein.com. The Whey Concentrate is great! and SO inexpensive. There's also TrueProtein coupons all over the net to take down the price 5-10%.

JoshuaL

Thanks for the advice Patrick! Right now I am just eating two tubs of cottage cheese(120 grams of protein in total), plus the addition of perhaps 40-50 grams of protein besides. Seems a bit excessive so I may cut back a little on the cottage cheese.

Yesterday was a light day again, my shoulders are finally starting to feel better, but I am just going to rest them for a while longer.

I did my regular morning circuit, maybe a bit slower than usual, focused on long holds with my handstands.

Did my hourly workouts at work.

Afterwork, I did a 2.5 hour session at the park, but it was very light. I focused on back and legs and core, but going slow, taking my time with every movement.

Feeling very strong in the core and back, which is nice.