Back tuck

Started by Yaad Mohammad, July 25, 2011 · 13 Replies · 3,697 Views

Yaad Mohammad

FOb8V0MfGEc

That's my current back tuck, I'd much appreciate criticism.

Reveridian

Looks pretty good to me :)

I think you need to increase your vertical jump height a little bit, this will make it look better and also make it easier to land. Also your rotation speed is a little bit slow. If you can speed it up a bit then once again it'll be easier to land. To increase your rotation speed it'll help if you can tuck a bit tighter. Other then that I wouldn't be unhappy with that :)

Rev

Yaad Mohammad
Reveridian said:
Looks pretty good to me :)

I think you need to increase your vertical jump height a little bit, this will make it look better and also make it easier to land. Also your rotation speed is a little bit slow. If you can speed it up a bit then once again it'll be easier to land. To increase your rotation speed it'll help if you can tuck a bit tighter. Other then that I wouldn't be unhappy with that :)

Rev

Brilliant! So the form is good, even to a gymnast? Then I can officially start on my front and I'll improve my backs now and then :D

Finn Frank

I would consider discontinuing that little hop at the start. Looks a lot better in my opinion and feels more controlled. Also I'd say you want to wait until a bit higher in you take off jump before you tuck. That little bit more height might be enough for you to land with your chest up looking forwards which would be awesome.

Great job so far though :D

Yaad Mohammad
Finnbar said:
I would consider discontinuing that little hop at the start. Looks a lot better in my opinion and feels more controlled. Also I'd say you want to wait until a bit higher in you take off jump before you tuck. That little bit more height might be enough for you to land with your chest up looking forwards which would be awesome.

Great job so far though :D

Right

- No hop

- Wait

Consider it done, I might do it tomorrow or saturday at the gym :).

Reveridian

Well technically if it's a standing back tuck you shouldn't hop but then again I know a lot of divers and that is exactly the technique they teach; doing a small hop before the standing back tuck. So it's up to you :)

Good luck mate,

Rev

Seiji

Well divers have a diving board and the little hop makes a difference :P

Just letting you know, front tucks are very different from back tucks. Also, I wouldn't learn them from standing first haha

Joshua Naterman

You are robbing yourself of a lot of height by not fully extending the knees, hips and ankles in your jump. That is what I see.

Yaad Mohammad
slizzardman said:
You are robbing yourself of a lot of height by not fully extending the knees, hips and ankles in your jump. That is what I see.

Yeah, I know, but the fear is really holding me. Saturday though I'm training with gymnastic mats so I'll try it then with a fully extended body.

AlexX
slizzardman said:
You are robbing yourself of a lot of height by not fully extending the knees, hips and ankles in your jump. That is what I see.

This is spot on. Your standing tuck looks a bit slow because you never fully extend. This starts with your arms and continues to your hips, knees, and ankles. While you can make a standing tuck with those mistakes, variations such as the standing pike and twisting will require you to fix those technique issue. It is also the reason why you don't land with your chest up.

Yaad Mohammad
AlexX said:
slizzardman said:
You are robbing yourself of a lot of height by not fully extending the knees, hips and ankles in your jump. That is what I see.

This is spot on. Your standing tuck looks a bit slow because you never fully extend. This starts with your arms and continues to your hips, knees, and ankles. While you can make a standing tuck with those mistakes, variations such as the standing pike and twisting will require you to fix those technique issue. It is also the reason why you don't land with your chest up.

Right, I just jumped up with stretching my full body and shit, looks like I can land a frickin' layout if I'd have the guts...

Adam Bodestyne
Rago said:
Right, I just jumped up with stretching my full body and shit, looks like I can land a frickin' layout if I'd have the guts...

Nice one. I saw your video in the first post of this thread, and realised it looks almost exactly like my own back tucks currently do. I've also been told recently that I ought to try to extend out fully before tucking, and while I understand this, it seems incredibly scary to do so. Like, if I spend the time waiting to reach full extension, I'm not going to be able to do the tuck. Think I'll try working it into a pit next time I have the chance.

Yaad Mohammad

5ZF1uF-r4P0

Reveridian
Rago said:
5ZF1uF-r4P0

Not bad but you're still not pushing all of the way through your legs. Have a look at your knees; you push through about 3/4 of the way. Keep working hard :)

Rev