shoulder stretching

Started by Jhaek, July 22, 2011 · 7 Replies · 5,943 Views

Jhaek

My shoulders are tiggt and I need to stretch them.But I dont know how.Im not sure but will german hangs help me with it .Also I do a stretch with a stick.The stick is in my hands ,above my head and I lower it down behind my back until my hands are fully extended downwards .Would those help?

Ian Legrow

German hangs, SHoudler dislocates, scapula pushups, shoulder rotations, wall extensions. All these are wonderful things to stretch and warm up your shoulders. Make sure you don't over do the german hangs, always scale, becasue if not you will end up hurting yourself

Blairbob

the stick work is your bread and butter, check out sliz's shoulder mobility video for the fine tuning exercises where you on your shoulder and roll onto it. wall slides are good stuff as well besides seated shoulder extension (start in a crab walk and start walking your hands as far behind you as possible while sitting down).

then grab some lacrosse balls and start digging in

Jhaek

I cant do wall extensions becouse im very stiff :S

Blairbob

try them while laying down on the floor, a bit easier.

honestly, i prefer cuban presses. Another would be the DieselCrew shoulder mobility with DB. There is one exercise that is probably more useful than the cuban press where you do the same movement but are laying on a bench at a 45 degree angle and then work on external rotating your shoulders with the DB to horizontal.

Jhaek

cant do them even on floor :/ My arms cant reach 180 degrees :/ I need to open up my shoulder angle so I do some handstands on wall for active flexibility and I do cat stretches ,german hangs ,shoulder dislocates

Jhaek

I tried them on my bed and they worked! should I do them on the bed or ?

Ian Legrow

you should do them where ever works as long as it does not compromise your form. Once you do them perfectly on the bed move to the floor, then to vorious parts on the wall, and soon you will be able to sit with your back against the wall like in the video.