How is my workout routine?

Started by CalisthenicGod, July 20, 2011 · 5 Replies · 3,790 Views

CalisthenicGod

Hello Gentlemen,

I've edited my workout to be completely Gymnastics-based now, I am no longer doing Convict Conditioning as I would personally put my time and energy into achieving a Planche instead of One arm push-ups, Freestanding Handstand push-ups instead of the less than likely One Arm Handstand Push-ups. I believe just doing FSP's and FBE's is much more beneficial than trying to reach for so many goals at once (I tried combining gymnastics, CC and Pavel's Calisthenics Bear routine together). I believe combining too many things together at once produces lack of focus and sub-par results, thus I am exclusively focusing on FSP and FBE progressions.

Here is my weekly schedule:

Monday: Horizontal Push and Pull FBE

Tuesday: HSPU and Pull-ups FBE

Thursday: Dips and SLS FBE (Can't neglect the legs)

Friday: One Arm Push and Pull FBE

Each workout is started with an FSP warm-up:

-Handstand 2x30 seconds

-German Hang 2x30 seconds

-Frog Stand 2x30 seconds

-Front Lever Tucked 3x20 seconds

-Low L-Sit 3x20 seconds

My rest time between sets for FSP is 1 minute, for FBE's it's 3 minutes.

I am aiming for 5x5 for each FBE then I will gradually build up to 5x10 for more hypertrophy. Each FBE will be done in a slow cadence of 2-1-2 (5 seconds time-under-tension).

**One thing I'm wondering is if the Friday One Arm-Push-up and One-Arm Pull-up days are appropriate, since I am not even close to a strict OAP or OAC, I am only on Close grip push-ups and pull-ups. Should I change this routine to 3 times a week and not even worry about unilateral OAP/OAC for now? Is an OAC even a viable way of training, or is it just a show of strength (I've heard frequent OAC training can lead to tendonitis).**

Please give me some feedback, I appreciate responses.

**Routine has been updated as of 08/02/2011**

CalisthenicGod

Do you guys think I should remove Back Lever training and replace it with Handstand work instead? Since according to Steven Low, Handstand work should be paired with Manna while Planche with Front or Back Lever.

Edit: Or would moving German Hangs for after the workout as a "cooldown" be better? Since German Hang is more of a stretch and shoulder flexibility exercise, wouldn't it be better to do it when your muscles are warm rather than using it as a warm-up when your muscles are cold? (Easier to injure yourself?). I will probably put Back Lever progressions back into the FSP warm-ups when I am done with the German Hangs.

Would 5 minutes of Handstand work be enough? (5 sets of 1 minute Wall HS/Freestanding HS with 1 minute rest in between)

Second Edit: Also I'd like to note I might progress L-Sit in this manner: L-Sit ---> Straddle-L ---> Manna, using the previous ones as warm-up. Is this a good idea?

CalisthenicGod

Can someone move this thread to the "Getting Started" section? I feel like I am getting no traffic here.

rplusj

Can anyone comment on this? I'm looking for a detailed MWF or MTTF program design and was wondering if this would be a good introductory template..

CalisthenicGod

This routine is inspired by the KillRoy70 template, but I modified it to fit my own personal needs and goals. I personally don't do bodyweight curls so I sub in leg work (hence SLS) and I think One-Arm Chin-ups and One-Arm Push-ups are cool so I add it in. You could turn this into a MWF routine though, it'll go something like this:

Monday: Horizontal Push, Horizontal Pull and Combined Pull/Press FBE

Wednesday: Vertical Push, Vertical Pull and Multi-Plane Pressing FBE

Friday: Dip Variations, SLS and Multi-Plane Pulling FBE

The routine outline above was the previous routine I thought of before switching from CC over to BtGB, however I did not do any MPP/CPPress/CPPull FBE's because I am still relatively newbie, however they can be added later on when one is better conditioned.

My current routine has been updated in the original post.

CalisthenicGod

So what do you guys think about Unilateral training? Do One-Arm Push-ups (feet at least shoulder width apart and torso square) and One-Arm Chin-ups have their place in training? Would incorporating them add too much volume in my overall weekly routine and cause over-training/over-use injuries?

What do you guys think, given the layout of my training, would a MWF routine be better or a MT/TF with the unilateral training as described in my original post be more appropriate in terms of recovery and volume?