Rope Clamp

Started by David Barclay, July 19, 2011 · 4 Replies · 8,412 Views

David Barclay

Hi all, I have a 25 foot 1.5 inch manila climbing rope. I typically throw it over a branch or a structure and secure it to an anchor.

I do want to install it in a more permanent location, so I want to get a steel rope clamp that I can secure to an attachment. The only place I have seen clamps sold is the below store. (see the first picture)

http://functionalhandstrength.com/rope_climbing.html

They want over hundred dollars for just the clamp. Does anyone have any idea where I can buy a clamp like that for a bit cheaper? I don't want to compromise safety, but that does seem a bit steep.

thanks,

David

Cole Dano

I like John's stuff, but some of the prices are out of my league.

There is a thread here somewhere on how to prep the end of a rope. The old fashioned way is to use the rope itself to make the loop, sorry that the name for this is slipping me, but a search in the equipment section will at least get you started.

Freeflyer

Learn how to eye splice. It is time consuming, and definitely harder to d with natural fiber lines like manilla, but it is a worthwhile skill to learn. Always back up your splice if you can.

Splices are stronger than knots, but you could also just tie a bowline backed up with a half-hitch on the end and throw it through itself (around whatever you are hanging it on) if splicing is too difficult or time consuming.

rubadub

Check my post here.

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vi ... =10&t=2157

Ryan Libke

I have been working on an eye splice, and it is a bit difficult. However, enter in the term on a search engine and you should be able to come up with an animation of how to do it, which is a tremendous help. I have also tied a loop with a 1.5 inch manila rope, but it does take up a lot of length. I used a figure 8, which made for a pretty big, but reasonably secure knot. You could probably swing it and use it as a decent battlefield weapon.