Get in here Slizzardman

Started by CalisthenicGod, July 18, 2011 · 30 Replies · 8,331 Views

CalisthenicGod

Hey Slizzardman, now I've got your attention, I got a few questions to ask you :D .

1. When did you first start training?

2. Can you give us a brief, or somewhat detailed (if you have time), story of your training life?

3. What kind of training did you do before you found out about Gymnastics conditioning? How did you get so strong?

4. What got you interested in Gymnastics conditioning?

I am sure many people other than myself are interested in the story behind the hulk

Quick Start Test Smith

lol... :lol:

Samuel Carr

Also do you go to school and if so, where and what for?

Newguy

And how often do you blink a day. Do you blink more when you are working out? What color are your eyes. Do you blink more on Mondays than Fridays?

WitnessTheFitness

I'm just waiting for someone to ask if he likes long moonlit walks on the beach and is available Friday night :lol:

Uzeeh

Are you single?

(no homo)

Philip Chubb
Uzeeh said:
Are you single?

(no homo)

HAHAH. I like this comment.

Aaron Griffin

What is you favorite Dwarf from the Seven Dwarves? I like Sleepy

RatioFitness

Slizzardman, which approach to quantum physics to you prefer: Copenhagen or "many worlds?"

Blairbob

He's got a cute gf who is like a foot shorter than him and probably weighs about half what he used to.

Kanojo wa kawaii Nippon no on'nanokodesu. Well I think that's the right language but my apologies Sliz if it isn't.

Newguy

Also I must know, (And this has everything to do with working out) If you ruled the world for one day, what would you do?

CalisthenicGod

Slizzardman, we are getting impatient. Please come in and answer our valid questions :lol: .

But seriously though, I am curious to know how and why you went from a weightlifter to someone that specializes in gymnastics training. It is similar to me (going from weightlifting to calisthenics, however I didn't start out nearly as strong as you did).

Also do you like long moonlit walks on the beach, and are you available Friday nights?

Joshua Naterman
CalisthenicGod said:
Hey Slizzardman, now I've got your attention, I got a few questions to ask you :D .

1. When did you first start training?

2. Can you give us a brief, or somewhat detailed (if you have time), story of your training life?

3. What kind of training did you do before you found out about Gymnastics conditioning? How did you get so strong?

4. What got you interested in Gymnastics conditioning?

I am sure many people other than myself are interested in the story behind the hulk

HAHAHA!! Hey guys, sorry I haven't been in here yet! I don't know how I missed this.

1 +2) I don't know if I was ever not training, I was one of those kids who ran for fun when everyone else was jumping rope or playing kick ball because I liked the wind in my face. I climbed EVERYTHING too, and I thought it was fun to find fallen trees and see if I could lift them or drag them.

Formally speaking, I started going to the YMCA 3x per week when I was 7. I did sit ups, pull ups, push ups and the rowing machine. When I was 9 I started using the machines and when I was 13 I started doing free weights. I quit when I was 13 due to my hating my father at the time and not wanting to be where he was, so I didn't start formally training again until I was 17. I still did push ups and climbing, as well as BMX biking, skateboarding, "aggressive" skating, and I lived in the mountains pretty much every summer. Literally in the Appalachians, out on the trail. It was awesome!

I started training for Muay Thai when I was 17 and this was my first real introduction to weight training. I got strong quickly, as all high schoolers do when they train properly. My bench always sucked but I could do more cable crossover weight than most of the big adults. My shrugs were pretty stupendous, I built up to 15-20 reps of 415 in about 5 months. 4 way neck machine ended up being sets of 20 reps with 120 lbs in all directions, and leg press was 890 lbs for sets of 20 reps with thighs touching my chest at the bottom of each rep. My squat sucked because I didn't know what I was doing. I did sets of 100 crunches, with a 25 lb medicine ball being forcefully slammed onto my core from about 6 feet above me, not just dropped. Obviously that took a while to build up to. When my first pro fight got cancelled I had knee surgery to remove a bone spur, and then I just worked out for fun at college. I did the Body for Life program and made decent progress, I ended up at 190 lbs when I was 20. Then I found out about the Navy Seal Challenge, thought that sounded fun, quit smoking and got myself into proper shape in about 3 months. I did the 12 weeks to buds workout, just like I have recommended to many of our buds-minded compadres here! It was brutal and fun, and resulting injuries set me on the path to learning about healing the body, starting with my own.

After that it was boot camp, where I got in trouble on purpose just so I could get a good workout. Then for 4 months I was at Gun school, where I woke up at 5 am 3x per week to do specwar PT AND I worked out in the gym 4-5x per week AND I did regular Gun School PT 2-3x per week (this was a joke, though, so it doesn't really count).

After that I scruffed in Virginia Beach for 3 months and then was a member of BUDS class 245 and 246. After sustaining injuries in 245 and quitting from 246 I ended up on the USS Fort McHenry for 2.5 years. It was a crappy command but I had a ton of friends there and had a great time. I started the journey towards fixing my shoulders in our crappy gym just aft of the forecastle on the 2nd deck, which I actually grew to love. It was pretty darn good and I got strong as hell even though I still woke up every hour from my shoulder being so screwed up.

After I got out of the Navy my best friend and I were going to fight professionally together, so I went out to Cali to train with him and hang out. I ended up meeting a lady, Candice, who I loved and lived with for about a year. She had two fantastic children who are now growing up and we all still keep in touch. During this time it was all pretty much strength maintenance. My right shoulder had not yet started giving me trouble, the left was still the main issue at this time in my life.

As I came back to GA after my best friend had come back from Iraq and was in need of a stabilizing presence, the right shoulder finally began to give me problems as the left started becoming less of a problem. I noticed that while I was getting stronger in the gym I wasn't getting more athletic in the ring or octagon, and through a series of internet searches that I can no longer remember I found Coach's Dragondoor Article, which is directly responsible for a great many of us being here! I saw the website, read for about 5 minutes, and ordered the full package. DVDs+rings+The Book. I started off too strong and did not have a proper understanding of why it was important to prepare my elbows properly for straight arm work and between elbow injuries and a continually worse right shoulder I kind of stalled out for about a year straight.

Now that I am focusing HARD on rehab things are looking up! My shoulder is feeling better, though it has a LONG way to go. I am still struggling mentally to keep myself from doing too much pressing. I am forcing myself to take the rest of this year, at the very least, for shoulder rehab.

I will have to provide more details, I know, but this is a pretty good generalized short version!

I am not single, though I am not dating Nancy anymore. We are good friends and probably always will be, but through a combination of my own emotional unavailability at times and just an honest difference in where we want our lives to go we are just friends and have been for several months.

I am spending every weekend hour I can up in the North Georgia Mountains, both because I am rediscovering my love for the outdoors and because there is a truly fantastic young lady out there that I am enjoying getting to know. So yes, I am available Friday evenings, but only for her lol!

I like moonlit walks, but I like starlight runs much better. Moonlit nights are better spent on mountaintops with a campfire, marshmallows, a slight breeze, and a spectacular view!

I also like horseback riding and archery, and I am rather decent at both. I prefer riding horses bareback because I think it is super manly, and probably more comfortable for the horse as well.

I have a massive love for farming and agriculture, and I also like firecrackers. A LOT! :P

And of course, DRAGON BALL Z!!!!!!!!

CalisthenicGod

Haha damn Slizzardman, that is one hell of a journey. It looks like you put a lot of sweat, blood and tears into building the jacked physique you have today. It's interesting you also did martial arts as well as Navy Seal training, as well as being a gym rat and a gymnast :lol: .

Another funny thing is, the Dragondoor article by Coach also brought me here, as I was in search of higher levels of calisthenics and landed on the amazing article of these kids doing push-ups with their feet off the ground, and hanging on a bar in a position I didn't think was possible.

I think it's correct for me to say you are an inspiration to many people on this forum, being at 240+ lbs and over 6' tall and training in gymnastics exercises is tough, heck even me being 6'1 and 180~lbs lightweight it's already hard as hell. I am waiting for you to heal up your shoulder and elbow injuries so you can show us a full planche is possible on a 200lbs+ muscle bound roid gorilla :lol: .

Keep on training and before you know it, your power levels will be over 9,000 8)

Warrior'sSuite

Yeah DBZ is great but they completely messed it up with GT. What childish nonsense!

Future Trunks! He's a skinny homo in GT.

Apparently messing up with him wasn't enough so they went ahead and messed up all the other characters.

But alas this wasn't enough either so they decided to introduce the most stupid of characters...PAN *cough*

Joshua Naterman

Ouch. You HAD to bring up Pan. :shock:

CalisthenicGod
Warrior said:
Yeah DBZ is great but they completely messed it up with GT. What childish nonsense!

Future Trunks! He's a skinny homo in GT.

Apparently messing up with him wasn't enough so they went ahead and messed up all the other characters.

But alas this wasn't enough either so they decided to introduce the most stupid of characters...PAN *cough*

Agreed, I was a fan of DBZ but GT was complete trash compared to its much more successful counterpart.

The fact that Goku turned into a kid made me quit watching it after a couple of episodes. Also Super Saiyan 4 is a joke :lol: .

Falcon

Slizzardman, in one topic you've also said that while in navy, you were tested for steroids more than once, when you experimented with sipping whey every 30 minutes, you've made so much improvement back then that they thought you were taking the steroids, or it was absolutely normal in the navy?

Aaron Griffin
slizzardman said:
And of course, DRAGON BALL Z!!!!!!!!

So, have you ever tried the weighted clothing thing? I know a guy who was really into DBZ and tried wearing a 40lb weight vest everywhere for a week.

Joshua Naterman
Falcon said:
Slizzardman, in one topic you've also said that while in navy, you were tested for steroids more than once, when you experimented with sipping whey every 30 minutes, you've made so much improvement back then that they thought you were taking the steroids, or it was absolutely normal in the navy?

No one ever gets randomly selected that many times. Ever. There were a bunch of rumors going around in the chief's mess, even though all the guys I worked out with knew better. We literally lived together lol!

I'm making fantastic improvements now too, muscle is coming fast when I want it. I'm just eating enough to stay 200-ish lbs, so I won't be getting much heavier for a while I don't think. I don't want to start getting over 202-ish until I'm around 8%.

I did actually do the weighted clothes!!! I still do, sort of. I take my hiking backpack almost everywhere with me, and that always adds 20-30 lbs. At this point I just run full out with it on a regular basis, though some days I walk more than I run or sprint. I also used to wear 2 lb ankle weights on each wrist and ankle, but that was stinky after a while and bothered people, and since I wasn't actually competing I stopped. If I were to ever compete again I would absolutely do that again and just have so many pairs that I could wash them and keep them clean, but I don't see that happening.

It is 100% true that if you add an extra 10% weight to all body parts, meaning for me it would be ~20lbs proportionally distributed to the arms, legs and chest, you see a 10% performance improvement in otherwise maxed out elite athletes. This really isn't necessary until you get to the point where you can only improve like 1% per year.

Blairbob
I also like horseback riding and archery

Yabusame. Heheh. You seem kind of big to be a horse archer from the steppes but if Conan could do it, you can.

Just remember, WWCD (WhatWouldConanDo). Refer to the RE Howard stories though the first one with Arnold was basically an amalgam of different Conan stories thrown in with some Kull which was a predecessor (and ancestor) of Conan.

Joshua Naterman

Ohoho! Horseback archery would be AWESOME. I don't think I'm anywhere near that good lol!

I've never heard WWCD! I love it! I would assume it is typically "smash" much like the Hulk but I don't know, I've never read the books. After I finish the hunger games I'll have to check them out!

Freeflyer
Falcon said:
Slizzardman, in one topic you've also said that while in navy, you were tested for steroids more than once, when you experimented with sipping whey every 30 minutes, you've made so much improvement back then that they thought you were taking the steroids, or it was absolutely normal in the navy?

I've been in the Marines and Navy for 7 years now and I have only ever known 1 person who got tested for steroids. And he was positive... But those tests are expensive, and unlike other drugs, they don't tend to do them randomly. A lot depends on your command though. I doubt where I would work anyone would get tested unless they seemed to exhibit the negative side affects. But other commands would test you if you suddenly bulked up a lot.

Rafael David
Warrior said:
Future Trunks! He's a skinny homo in GT.

HAHAHAHA this is the PRESENT Trunks

CalisthenicGod said:
The fact that Goku turned into a kid made me quit watching it after a couple of episodes. Also Super Saiyan 4 is a joke! :lol:

The SS4 was PROBABLY to be a homenage to the original Goku's sketch, was what the directors said. BUT Akira don't worked in GT, you can see why was so horrible... :roll:

Joshua Naterman
Nick_EOD said:
Falcon said:
Slizzardman, in one topic you've also said that while in navy, you were tested for steroids more than once, when you experimented with sipping whey every 30 minutes, you've made so much improvement back then that they thought you were taking the steroids, or it was absolutely normal in the navy?

I've been in the Marines and Navy for 7 years now and I have only ever known 1 person who got tested for steroids. And he was positive... But those tests are expensive, and unlike other drugs, they don't tend to do them randomly. A lot depends on your command though. I doubt where I would work anyone would get tested unless they seemed to exhibit the negative side affects. But other commands would test you if you suddenly bulked up a lot.

Lol yea, the Chief's mess had it out for me. Joke was on them!