Injured Hip - Is this normal recovery time?

Started by Asclepius, July 12, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,499 Views

Asclepius

So I have another thread a little ways down, but made this new one because the problem has become much more worrisome to me.

So close to 2 months ago, I hurt my hip while squatting. Wasn't a sudden pain, just noticed it after the workout. I realized something was wrong after it hadn't gotten better in 2 weeks. Went to an orthopedist, and they told me that I pulled a hip flexor and may have a pelvic avulsion fracture. Put me on crutches and Meloxicam (anti-inflammatory) until further notice. I got an MRI and found that I have no signs of an avulsion fracture, thankfully.

The problem is that it has been about 2 months now since this injury happened, and it really hasn't gotten that much better. At first it the site of injury when walking, now it does not, and it may be a tad bit better when my hip is flexed now (pain only happens when hip is flexed above 90 degrees, and the pain is right below the pelvic crest in the crease made by the thigh and stomach/groin).

Basically, is this normal? Should it really be taking this long for an injury like this? Should I ditch the crutches since I can walk without them? Should I start doing some massage to the muscle? I'm starting to get quite worried since it has not healed by now, not to mention very sad from discontinuing any training and basically any activity at all due to the hip's involvement.

Thanks!

Joshua Naterman

This kind of thing is best treated by an ART specialist.

Trying to make it go away on your own will take a long time, and you will not be able to do what they can.

There is an outside chance that there is a hernia invading the hip region, but if they checked for hernias and the MRI didn't show a hernia then your issues are soft tissue in nature.

You should definitely massage, but you're looking at the psoas and iliacus muscles being your most likely prime culprits. Use the trigger point therapy workbook or similar resource and do the best you can for yourself, but get in and get some ART if it is available in your area.

Asclepius

There aren't any ART professionals anywhere near where I live :(

I'm waiting for a call from my orthopedist so I can find out what's up. There is a chance that they only took an MRI of the site where an avulsion fracture was suspected, so a hernia might be possible. Nonetheless, I'm getting sick of this bullshit of not being able to do anything due to a bum hip. I want answers from this person.

/rant

Joshua Naterman

Once you're sure they have checked out the area and it's all good, it is worth making a trip to see a good practitioner.