Shoulder Warm Up Routine Video

Started by gymgreg, July 10, 2011 · 14 Replies · 5,909 Views

gymgreg

I made a short clip of the rubber band shoulder warm up I do every session, right after joint rotations.

ruI5QnW_OFg

Maybe it will help one or the other to get an idea for their warm-up.

It sure helps me to get the shoulder girdle going for the ring exercises.

Edit: the band used in this video is a Thera Band

Blairbob

Good stuff, I prefer to do the bent arm at 90 external rotation (cuban press) to hands to ceiling and fingers to floor.

This is very similar to some of the GB shoulder series.

Dillon Kolacz

is this your dorm room?

gymgreg
Blairbob said:
Good stuff, I prefer to do the bent arm at 90 external rotation (cuban press) to hands to ceiling and fingers to floor.

Will try that.

Kolacz said:
is this your dorm room?

No dorm, just my room in an apartment.

Dillon Kolacz

sorry for asking... just thought you made very efficient use of the space in the frame!

also... great channel!! you have quite a bit of strength! How tall are you?

gymgreg
Kolacz said:
How tall are you?

180cm

Blairbob

Basically just working some internal rotation in there.

Reece Nugent

Thanks Gymgreg! Purchased my rubber tubing specifically for this yesturday. When testing in the shop, it felt like my shoulders were on fire :).

Do you use this warmup for all your handstand/ring wods?

Where else do you use it?

gymgreg
Nugget said:

Thanks Gymgreg! Purchased my rubber tubing specifically for this yesturday. When testing in the shop, it felt like my shoulders were on fire .

Do you use this warmup for all your handstand/ring wods?

Where else do you use it?

Yep, I do it for every workout that involves my shoulders. I don't want to take any chances of injuring the shoulder girdle.

Quick Start Test Smith

That looks like a very good routine. I'm going to get a band like yours so I can start doing it. :)

Quick Start Test Smith

Hey, gymgreg, what kind of band are you using in the video? Can you give me a brand name or link? Thanks. :)

Joshua Naterman

Excellent! I think that you will get more out of your internal rotations if you are on your knees, based on the height of your band attachment. I don't know if you have experimented with that, maybe you like the standing better. That is a fantastic video, very good stuff.

Blairbob

I may try shooting video of the series but it will only be for those accessible in Graduate Studies. It's something I've long endeavored to, but I'm kind of back on a video kick.

yuri marmerstein

Nice, I do something very similar prior to ring and/or strength sessions. It gets the shoulders nice and warm

I use a different shoulder warmup prior to hand balancing though

gymgreg
slizzardman said:
Excellent! I think that you will get more out of your internal rotations if you are on your knees, based on the height of your band attachment. I don't know if you have experimented with that, maybe you like the standing better. That is a fantastic video, very good stuff.

Thanks for the feedback. I have experimented with all kinds of variations and found that I like standing best (no couch in the way, better for transitions between exercises).

Patrick Smith said:
Hey, gymgreg, what kind of band are you using in the video? Can you give me a brand name or link? Thanks. :)
It's a "Thera Band" but any other brand will do.