First time going to (any) gym

Started by Dillon Kolacz, July 9, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,482 Views

Dillon Kolacz

The only gymnastics training that I have endured is under my own supervision. In a little over a month I'll be going to a gymnastics gym for the first time, and I must admit that I have a lot of anxiety about it. What makes me nervous is not knowing what to do once I get there. I'm not sure if I'll be directed (and it's not like i can be that directed with no tumbling experience) or if I'll have to be on my own training myself like I normally do - but in front of people. The tryout to make the team is a month long... with 4 days a week of training... having never before been a part of anything athletic it makes me nervous to train in front of people... just afraid of getting judged i guess.

I kind of see it as a big step in my life because I've been all academics in the past, and now i'm transitioning to (hopefully) a sport. Do you guys have any tips? I don't even know what to wear lol... shorts and sliders? If you were new to a gym how would you train and get to know the other athletes?

Blairbob

Shorts and a tank top or shirt. You could wear sweats but I would find some sort of pocket less long shorts or pants to swing pommel horse, preferably synthethic.

Honestly, I only bother to help people at our club if they come up to me and ask for some help. It shows some initiative on their part. Occasionally I throw a bone but if someone does not care about asking someone for help (like I did a lot when I first started), then they are not worth losing time over. Especially as a lot of the kids kind of just want to screw around. Most will ask for a few tips and never bother to work on said skill to any degree or show any dedication to training.

And to anyone who says this is a bit standoffish. These people are adults and should have the ability and common sense to just ask for help.

If you want some help, just PM me but shooting video would be helpful. That doesn't really chew up my workout time which is limited as it is especially if I start getting into a conversation or spotting situation.

Imo, most of the club members have just enough knowledge of teaching a skill to basically teach them badly. Sometimes their skill level is very commendable but they only remember bits and pieces of their training to get to that. Some clubs have dedicated coaches.

Dillon Kolacz

thanks that's great advice! I'll start posting soon.. about to get a new phone. :)

Seiji

Are you going to something like an open gym or are you going to a class?

Gymnastics gyms are a lot of fun. My .02 lol

Dillon Kolacz

I believe it is Open gym :)

Reveridian

Yeah it kinda depends on what sort of program you are going in to. At our gym we run an "Adult's Class" where it is guided at the start and open at the end, but the entire program is run by a good coach and the adults are always working hard at SOMETHING, generally whatever they want to get good at. We don't have open gym for adults and I've never been to one so I can't comment on that. The adults who do our classes are a great bunch of people so I help them out all the time firstly because I cant help myself :P and secondly because they are such nice people and always work hard. But seriously don't get too worked up about it, everyone is there for the same thing and generally they are nice people. Just work hard and people will respect that, regardless of your level.

Rev