Just wanted to share think link with everyone. This guy can do a lot of the harder moves while at a relatively heavy bodyweight. This should encourage those that are starting out much heavier.
Started by alexk, August 19, 2008 · 8 Replies · 4,666 Views
Just wanted to share think link with everyone. This guy can do a lot of the harder moves while at a relatively heavy bodyweight. This should encourage those that are starting out much heavier.
Definately encouraging
Alexk, are you sure he is that heavy. In his description he describes himself as small and I don't think he is very big. " Big " Dave being a misnomer. I saw the video the other day, and didn't really try to compare his size in the video.
Is being heavier really that much of a disadvantage? Obviously there is more weight to lift, but generally there is usually additional strength that goes along with that weight. Shouldn't it take the same strength-to-weight ratio regardless of size?
Sorry if I was misleading I just meant that he is bigger relative to a regular gymnast and can still do most of the strength moves. He is 5'8 185 which I would say is pretty big at that height at least to me it is.
Awesome vid! i've seen a couple of his other ones before, he's really strong. I wouldn't say "big" tho at only being 5'8. I was watching the gymnastics the other day, and although i may have been mistaken but i thought they said a competitior was close to six foot! I think this was on the floor but i can't quite remember.
To Nick: Strength to weight ratio does normally decrease with size. This evident in both bodyweight feats (like gymnastics) and weightlifting. If u've been watching the olympics u'll see some of the smaller weightlifters can C & J triple their body weight :shock: whereas the big boys are probably more likely to get double bodyweight. But it's not just weight it's also the length of the levers involved. gymnasts are generally shorter because the long levers of a tall person make the move harder (not to mention the extra bodyweight)
The olympic gymnastics competitor you are referring to is the israely floor specialist Alex Shatilov. He is 1.83 meters high and considered the highest gymnast in the world.
He had some bad luck in the floor final and took 8th and last place.
Thanks for sharing the vid. I'm determined to be able to do all that and more.
I consider myself fat right now. I'm 46, 5'6" tall and weigh about 173-175 or so. When I graduated high school I was a lean, strong 135lbs. I doubt I'll see that weight again, but somewhere in the 140's would be a huge accomplishment.
I look at the extra weight as a gift right now. I'm having to work harder because of it. Progress is definately happening, but the old spare tire is stubborn to give up it's grasp. I'm to stubborn to let it win though.
That guy was really good. I hope to be that good some day. Maybe by this time next year.
His straddle planche to handstand was fantastic.