Did a search for vegetable juice on the forum and found nothing except for a post from slizzardman that warns against consuming too much juice at once because of the high fructose. I own a juicer and enjoy juicing everything from spinach, carrots, kale, apples, celery, and cucumbers from time to time. I don't know too much about nutrition, but if my goal is to gain strength, and well, build the gymnastic body, is there a place for a daily vegetable juice drink in my diet?
Vegetable Juice...Thoughts?
Started by barrett, July 7, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,694 Views
Juicing it yourself is very different from store bought juice. Of course you are still losing some of the value unless you include the pulp and whatever else you would eat in your juice, but it has not been subjected to the high temperatures that denature it that most store bought junk does.
I would say occasional vegetable juice shouldn't be a problem, especially if you are making it yourself. Even more so if for some reason it is the only way you can stomach veggies. But unless you are including the entire edible portion of the vegetable, then I wouldn't make it a staple.
But overall I don't think a glass a day will be detrimental at all. I might have to consider it myself since I know I have trouble getting my veggies in. I'm more of a meat/fish/eggs person, lol.
i do juice the veggies myself. also, i usually have some with dinner every night (different veggies from whatever i happen to juice). i don't, however, eat the pulp. that goes right in the trash! i doesn't look too appetizing to eat 'as is', although i think you could use the stuff for baking or something. my concern came from something i think i saw on a crossfit message board, where it was mentioned that veggie juice had a high GI. anyway, the stuff seemed to have worked pretty well for jack lalane, so how bad could it be, right?! thanks for the reply...
Well, if it is high GI, and I assume it would be after losing all the fiber in the pulp, post workout would probably be a good time to include it. Definitely healthier than a sports drink, thats for sure.
by the way, not sure how strict you are about your diet, but bbqing veggies is real tasty, especially of you're looking for a way to consume more of them! a little olive oil brushed on, along with some seasoning of your choice, goes along way for veggies on the grill. i do this with corn and eggplant alot. on a stove top sauteed zucchinni with grated cheese sprinkled on top is great also! i could go on and on...these are just some simple suggestions...