Three more videos, now in the (messy) apartment.

Started by Tyler Phillips, July 7, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,128 Views

Tyler Phillips

Hello all. Here are three more videos of me at work, and I'd like some thoughts on each for form and critique. Please read the description for each video too.

This first one is meant to be a substitute/supplement for iron cross training, mimicking most of the stresses at a lower intensity. This was only a demo video when recorded, but if there's anything I can do to improve form or effectiveness please tell me.

Here I'm trying to demonstrate a HS series of sorts I'm experimenting with, with the focus being strength and not balance since it's all on the wall. For now it just has the wall press, followed by the HeSPU; want to experiment with throwing in one-handed work but I may need to work up to that.

And here's a set of GHR Halfs. It was the last one, and my first attempt at doing an entire set of these. I'm definitely doing these more often to compliment the SLS.

Thanks again everyone! :D

Timy7

Well I would drop the dumbbell raises to mimic iron cross training. You would need to do these upside down to mimic it, and even then its a far cry.

I am closer to an iron cross and even closer to a maltese just from focusing on getting 3x30 sec rto supports, then l sits, then handstands, then planches than anything else I have tried and I have tried alot!

Just my .02

Seiji
Timy7 said:
Well I would drop the dumbbell raises to mimic iron cross training. You would need to do these upside down to mimic it, and even then its a far cry.

Good luck doing that in a headstand haha The exercise in the video would only be good for the inverted cross. Dumbbells aren't really a good mimic of gymnastics exercise (believe me, i've tried). I think it's got something to do with the force against the arms rather than just the muscles.

As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with doing one arm handstands against a wall for strength work, but I know someone is going to come here and tell you that there's no point unless you have perfect technique.

Tyler Phillips

I remember reading the training article from Coach about doing the raises upside-down. Unfortunately I don't really have a place to immediately facilitate (and no way am I trying that from a HeS! XD). And yeah, primarily I do the progression you outlined to work up to the cross - currently I do a MU followed by a 30 sec support hold, 3 sets. The thing is, I really only get the chance to do rings once or twice a week, and that's when I go out to the woods to set them up - no garage gym for me yet. :( There's a rings setup at open gym on Fridays, but those nights are geared primarily for tumbling, and any ring work is usually just a quick "Hey guys, watch my cool muscle-up". My situation becomes even more problematic when the seasons get cold and I have nowhere to set them up. In these situations, the lateral raises are meant to be the substitute for that - not my first choice, but one that can work at least a little. I guess the alternative is to just work harder on ring days. :twisted:

As for the one-armed HS, if perfect technique is required my video doesn't have much to show for it. I'm trying to do at least some degree of handstand work every day now, even if it's just kicking up into them for 5-10 min total, in an effort to nail down my freestanding balance (record atm is 8s). I can tell just by feeling how my legs are on the wall that my one-armed work is barely doing a thing for balance, but at the least I know it's pushing some strength gain.

Timy7

I didnt mean in a head stand. put your legs through your rings, or over the pullup bar and voila you are inverted!

=)