Buying a Parallettes

Started by Rod Abbott, August 19, 2008 · 10 Replies · 9,754 Views

Rod Abbott

I'm thinking of buying this parallettes --> [LINK]. Any opinions or a better suggestion? Thanks all.

chauinc

I recommend build some out of PVC using this guide, it'll be a lot cheaper if your just buying the pvc and you already have the tools. If you do build them I recommend not gluing the parts together for easy storage and mobility.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/13_03_Parallettes.pdf

Rod Abbott

chauinc,

Good idea - I'll give it a try and report back. Don't glue any of it or just the base?

Thanks,

Rod

StevenJ

I've made a couple sets of paralettes from PVC pipe for my friends and myself, without glue they're pretty stable and I like to adjust how tall they are sometimes, but gluing them might not be a bad idea. If not anything else, they're definitely muuuuuuuch less expensive.

Blairbob

Use thick enough PVC and you won't need to glue it.

chauinc
Rod Abbott said:
chauinc,

Good idea - I'll give it a try and report back. Don't glue any of it or just the base?

Thanks,

Rod

I didn't use any glue at all in mine, they turned out pretty well

Mark Weaver

I had the great opportunity to glue lots of pvc working in sprinklers and landscaping. This probably goes without saying, but make sure it's Schedule 40 pvc. There's usually enough friction between the fittings and the pipe that you wouldn't have to glue it for workout purposes. But, you could some parts together so you have 3 or 4 pieces.

Rod Abbott

Bought the materials, followed the directions, and put it together (a little over an hour). As I was about to mark the PVC for cutting I thought I should measure the total length to make sure it was 120 inches. Oops, it was 118" so I just reduced the two 24" pieces a bit to compensate for the deficit.

Wished I had a miter box because my cuts were not exactly perpendicular, but I assembled it hoping for the best. I measured the 8" supports from T-joint to elbow-joint and they both about the same length, and the set-up was steady as I did various moves.

I bought the glue but assembled it without it; and, you're all correct, it is sturdy without it. Forgive me for my doubt :D.

Total cost: $26.78 (without the glue). Clearly cheaper than my first choose.

Mark, thanks for the heads up on the type of PVC; Blairbob, thanks for the glue ditto; and chauinc, thanks for saving me some money.

ASForum
StevenJ said:
I've made a couple sets of paralettes from PVC pipe for my friends and myself, without glue they're pretty stable and I like to adjust how tall they are sometimes, but gluing them might not be a bad idea. If not anything else, they're definitely muuuuuuuch less expensive.

Adjustable heights?

Blairbob said:
Use thick enough PVC and you won't need to glue it.

1.5" or are u saying at that diameter the thickness of the pipe can also vary i.e. thereby contributing to strength of pipe?

mark said:
I had the great opportunity to glue lots of pvc working in sprinklers and landscaping. This probably goes without saying, but make sure it's Schedule 40 pvc. There's usually enough friction between the fittings and the pipe that you wouldn't have to glue it for workout purposes. But, you could some parts together so you have 3 or 4 pieces.

What other schedules beside schedule 40 pvc are available and better / worse options?

Blairbob

I used 3/4" for my little guys but for adults up to 250 pounds, I'd probably use something around 1.5. That's also the width of a girl's bar so it's not bad.

120 inches of total PVC sounds a bit much? I think I used 6" for each rail and bought the short pieces which were probably 1-2". Again I was designing these for 10yo boys and under. Next time, I'll probably use 1 inch or 1 1/4 though I have 12 feet of thick wood dowels I might cut up.

I personally wouldn't use PVC parallettes with rails that long (2') or that high (8") for doing PB HS pirouettes on. Not my cup of tea. I understand their reasoning for the 8" is to get full ROM HSPU or allow more clearance for L press to HS but again those schematics are too high for my preference ( mainly that I prefer parallettes with more weight/stability for HS pirouettes, typically of wood ). I like the length, I just don't like PVC in that length at that height.

ASForum
Rod Abbott said:
Bought the materials, followed the directions, and put it together (a little over an hour). As I was about to mark the PVC for cutting I thought I should measure the total length to make sure it was 120 inches. Oops, it was 118" so I just reduced the two 24" pieces a bit to compensate for the deficit.

Wished I had a miter box because my cuts were not exactly perpendicular, but I assembled it hoping for the best. I measured the 8" supports from T-joint to elbow-joint and they both about the same length, and the set-up was steady as I did various moves.

I bought the glue but assembled it without it; and, you're all correct, it is sturdy without it. Forgive me for my doubt :D.

Total cost: $26.78 (without the glue). Clearly cheaper than my first choose.

Mark, thanks for the heads up on the type of PVC; Blairbob, thanks for the glue ditto; and chauinc, thanks for saving me some money.

Gotta make sure I get a Miter box for cutting.