Single Bar Dips

Started by CalisthenicGod, July 7, 2011 · 5 Replies · 12,264 Views

CalisthenicGod

Greetings everybody,

I recently arrived in Taiwan, and with the numerous parks around I am able to continue my gymnastics journey.

However I am faced with a dilemma: The lack of parallel bars.

This has forced me to resort to Single Bar Dips instead of Parallel Bar Dips.

The question is, are they both drastically different? Are Single Bar Dips a reasonable substitute for Parallel Bar Dips?

Will Single Bar Dips still work the Chest and Arms as effectively?

Feedback is appreciated!

EastWind

Dips on single bars are rated more difficult than the ones performed on PB. If you can do dips on single bars, I don't see why you'd skip these. Besides, you don't have an option, unless you got a pair of rings to make this exercise even harder.

CalisthenicGod

Thanks for the quick reply deodatus!

It is true that single bar dips are rated more difficult, although I have a routine that calls for Dips, Chin-ups and Handstand push-ups with high volume low, low reps (10-20 sets of 5 reps). Each of the three exercises is critical and I am wondering if Single Bar Dips would be a good substitute for that (or even a replacement), and I am wondering if it is bio-mechanically different and works different muscles instead.

Also another question, what is the proper form for Single Bar Dips? (I know that your sternum should touch the bar, however I'm curious of the fine details such as where the feet should be throughout the range of motion, and should the ankles be crossed or not, just the small details that may or may not make a difference).

EastWind

I think that SBD are not only a substitute, but are better in terms of strength achievement. I only think that because I didn't do them yet, I tried Korean dips with under grip on a smith machine, but I failed, maybe I shall go for something easier, like simple SBD with the bar in front of me, not behind.

Regarding bio-mechanics and proper form, I can't answer that because I'm not that good. :(

Anyway, good luck with this exercise! :)

CalisthenicGod
deodatus said:
I think that SBD are not only a substitute, but are better in terms of strength achievement. I only think that because I didn't do them yet, I tried Korean dips with under grip on a smith machine, but I failed, maybe I shall go for something easier, like simple SBD with the bar in front of me, not behind.

Regarding bio-mechanics and proper form, I can't answer that because I'm not that good. :(

Anyway, good luck with this exercise! :)

Thanks for the feedback. I will be using Single Bar Dips for now.