I can hold some of the starting positions from the book, but I am having problem with the frog stand. How should I develop this beginner skill? I can only hold it for like 2 seconds, sometimes not a second .....![]()
thank you
Started by army, July 6, 2011 · 12 Replies · 5,195 Views
I can hold some of the starting positions from the book, but I am having problem with the frog stand. How should I develop this beginner skill? I can only hold it for like 2 seconds, sometimes not a second .....![]()
thank you
Post a video, otherwise most answers will be just guesses, we can give you the most likely answers but a video would help a lot! ![]()
Unfortunately I do not own a camera.... I will appreciate any advice.
Is it strength or balance that is your problem?
Hmm, Well I'll see what I can do.
Firstly make sure you have sufficient forward lean, try this start in a frogstand position with your feet on the floor. Then simply lean your body forward, do not bother trying to lift your hips up, just lean forward. Your feet should simply peel off of the floor, and all you have to do is push your fingers into the floor to stay up.
It could also be a strength problem, do you have a solid L-Sit on the floor? (At least 20 seconds) Or it may be something to do with flexibility do you have a good pike stretch (touching your toes)
If you explained exactly what you are doing and what is happening to you, I would be able to help more
Also how is your back lever?
Self assisted frog stand. Put feet and bounce them off a swiss ball or tap them off a foot stool.
Practice mainly.
How is the frog stand related to back levers and l sits? I thought the frog stand was a balance move.
To a certain extent it is a balance move, but of course you need a certain amount of strength, and an L-sit is quite helpful with that. The BL has almost nothing to do with the frogstand though, but it does have something to do with the Adv. Frog PL tuck etc.. So I asked about that because I wanted to know if he had a good enough base strength to advance after he had mastered a frogstand.
First of all , I would like to thank you for all this comments
I can hold front lever -tuck 15 seconds ( I could hardly hold 5 seconds a week ago , but I trained by doing sets of 5 second holds until I would reach 60 seconds overall)
L sit , I can't hold even a second when I am doing it on hands, I can lift my upper body easily, but I cannot lift my legs ,however, on the push up bars I can hold the starting phase of it ( I do not remember how is it called) for 10 seconds
I do not know if it is balance or strength issue, how can I check it?. During the frog stand, once I lean forward and take my feet of the ground, I either fall to the right or backwards.
my basic stats are:
72 consecutive push ups
7 pull ups
86 sit ups
If it is a balance issue, I had success doing them near a wall. By trial and error I figured out where to place my hands (which is about 17 inches from the wall, which I have marked) so I can lean forward into a frog stand (or advanced frog stand or tuck planche, etc) without fear of falling forward on the floor. My problem with the planche progressions was mainly not leaning forward far enough.
If it is a strength issue, all you can do is continue to work. Try to hold the position for 1 second longer than last time. I have a fair amount of problems with the strength portion as well because I weigh ~215 lbs. But, I was an avid weightlifter (powerlifter), so I have a decent amount of strength. But, the strenth required for the planche progressions is different.
I'm also sort of tall (6' 1"), so I have the normal tall guy balance / leverage problems as well.
Fall to the right? It should be just about impossible to fall to the side. Maybe your hands aren't wide enough apart.
When I do a frog stand, my arms are about a shoulder and a half apart and I rest my shins/thighs on my upper arms instead of my knees. Whether or not it's right, it'll train your balance and take out most of the strength needed. I used to do it as a kid and one time a gymnast told me it was an actual thing and that I didn't make it up haha
I've just tried to lean more forward and I think it kind of worked. I was able to hold it like 6-8 seconds and then could not handle the balance. How do you recommend to train for it? should I just do enough sets to reach a fixed number of seconds?
Seiji , you are right I was not falling directly right , forward and right ![]()