Several months ago, I decided to use bodyweight conditioning as a way to keep in shape during college, when I don't have time to do the aerobic exercise I'm used to.
I got up to a good 10s tuck planche, and my shoulders were noticeably stronger in other exercise. After a few weeks, though, I developed something that matches the description of costochondritis– inflammation of the sternum area. When it got to the point that I was in pain throughout the day, I took NSAIDS and stopped doing the exercises.
Since I didn't want to tear myself up in the pursuit of strength, I completely ceased doing planche and any exercises that irritated my chest. In the three months since, I've lost nearly all the strength I'd gained, but the chest pain hasn't gone away. It only gives me a few twinges in day-to-day life, but trying to exercise brings it right back.
I read the book (brilliant, by the way, but you all already know this), but I'm precluded from doing nearly every exercise by chest pain. Even L-sit, front lever, and handstand will give me twinges after doing the exercises.
Since Coach Sommer's wrist exercises have almost completely eradicated the forearm pain I was experiencing, I deeply hope you guys have something as profound to offer to help with this chest pain.
If this is a problem of muscular imbalance, what can I work on to balance things out? Or do I just need to wait, and keep bleeding off strength?