This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Quest to becoming a real gymnast

Started by Dillon Kolacz, July 4, 2011 · 23 Replies · 2,155 Views

Dillon Kolacz

I started gymnastics for the fitness, but now I would like to transition in to a real (somewhat) competitive gymnast. The current situation that I'm in is that I have a tryout for the University of Texas at Austin club gymnastics team some time in August. I've been training by myself in my bedroom for the past year, and throughout the entire time I've evolved my routine. I've had to redo planche and manna progressions because of bent elbows... redo hand placements for l sit on the floor and shoulder extensions for proper handstands... I am down to my last month and 2/3 before I move into my dorm in Austin, and I've got to admit I'm extremely nervous... mostly about just making the team!

On the student website it says "Experience is preferred, but all that are interested are welcome. We have gymnasts of every skill level, from beginner to elite. Note however that members are required to compete." I'm obviously not an elite gymnast, but I'm hoping I can make it on to the team because of my work ethic. I've decided to recreate my log to express my gratitude to those that have helped me along the way and take advantage of this awesome gymnastics community with all of their support and wisdom.

Routine

Saturday - Legs/Progressions

I train legs with a vertical jump training program..

The progressions I do this day are Straddle L/Arch Hold/Hollow Hold/L-Sit Lifts/headstand presses

Sunday - Arms/Progressions/WOD

For arms I generally do sets of OAC, Chinups, and Pullup (wide)

Progressions for these days include Planche hands forward, Planche (hands backwards), manna, Front lever, back lever, and HS wall runs.

WOD

Monday - Abs/Progressions

Ab work includes HLL and more L-sit lifts... I recently took out one of my leg days and replaced it with abs because I kept skipping abs. I need a better abs workout structure :/ I'll have to figure it out.

Progressions for this day are Straddle L/Arch Hold/Hollow Hold/L-sit Lifts/Headstand Presses

Tuesday - Chest/Progressions

Chest I do some pushup variations and I still Bench, but I would like to figure out what else I could do potentially. I don't think I'll have immediate access to a bench around my dorm.

Progressions for this day include Planche hands forward, Planch (hands backwards), manna, front lever, back lever, and hs wall runs.

Wednesday - Legs/Progressions

Vertical jump program

Progressions for this day are straddle l/arch hold/hollow hold/l-sit lifts/Headstand presses

Thursday - Progressions/WOD

Progressions for this day are Planche hands forward/Planche(hands backwards), manna, front lever, back lever, and hs wall runs.

WOD

I don't do WOD for lower body days just because I don't have the space or equipment necessary for those workouts.

Daily I train Handstand balancing for fifteen minutes... and I also Stretch for about twenty minutes before each workout. My workouts usually take about an hour and a half if it's a long day.

Baseline - Here I'll update my progress on my maxes for each progression. Each week I add 3 or 2 seconds to the previously trained time. I'll use the book's levels to gauge my progress.

Straddle L - I'm on the high end of PB low... I'm almost horizontal. I can hit horizontal, but I can't hold it consistently.

Manna - HMSH I'm still pushing my hips and making progress

Back Lever - Flat Tuck This week's time is at 40 seconds.

Front Lever - Flat Tuck This week's time is at 33 seconds.

Planche (hands forwards) - Tuck This week's time is at 58 seconds. (about to move on!!!)

Planche (hands backwards) - This is the first week that I've tried these. I read about the hand placement, and it sounded like a challenge. I'm def in frog stand until I learn how to balance correctly!

OAC - I can't do these yet lol. My hand is about half assist at the moment for both arms.

Handstand Press - I can't do these yet. I'm working out my lower back by doing headstand presses with a lot of books under my head. I have 9 textbooks under my head at the moment. I think this ability isn't far off.

Handstand - I'm still on the wall with my new shoulder and head placement. Great progress has been made here, and I'm really excited about what will happen this next month.

Straddle Splits - 6 inches from the ground.

L-sit - I've had a solid 60s for a while. I'm assuming my body was created for these because I've never had any trouble with them lol :/

Hand Positions -

Everything is hands forwards except for backwards planche.... and L sit is fingers forward, but i'm elevated on my thumb.

Height - 5'11

Equipment -

Freestand Pull-up Bar

Floor Space

Wall

Rings now!!! except i'm not quite sure where to start!

AlexX

Gymnastic is awesome and I wish you the best of luck in making the team. I would suggest practicing a lot of handstands (you seem to be doing that already) and some basic tumbling skills like rolls, extension rolls and cartwheels. I'll be following with interest.

Charles Weill

Hey kolacz,

Sounds like you are making some excellent progress! I was in a very similar situation to yours, where I started training with the BtGB and then tried out for the gymnastics club team at my university (Cornell).

Truth be told, I doubt they will most likely accept you. College club teams are very open to members of any experience level. Those who decide to leave the team either have other commitments or lack a solid work ethic. Since you trained yourself in your room all this time, you will certainly reap all the benefits a club team has to offer, like real gymnastics equipment!

Best of luck! Have fun in college.

Cheers,

Schlaffmann

Dillon Kolacz

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the interest... it motivates me even more! I'll def look into practicing the basic tumbling skills.

Do yall recommend a workout for chest that replaces bench? And which ab exercises do yall think would be good to have in a routine?

Blairbob

If you are talking about collegiate gymnastics I wouldn't get your hopes up.

If you are talking about an intercollegiate club gymnastics, you can be as bad as your ego can put up with. You may have to wear a gymnastics singlet but sometimes a tshirt and shorts suffice except at Nationals (under NAIGC). Collegiate club gymnastics is also done under a few other organizations.

I compete under NAIGC. Thank god for a 10 SV.

Dillon Kolacz

to be honest i'd be honored to wear a singlet... but if not i'll prob opt for a tank top and some tiny shorts... NAIGC is what UT's club competes in :) which team are you on bob?

It is the intercollegiate club league... I think UT competes directly against Texas State, A&M, Texas Tech, OU's club team, and Baylor before going to naigc.. UT doesn't have an ncaa gymnastics team

Dillon Kolacz

At work today I decided I would purchase the Xtreme rings and I did! my order is in and I can't wait to use the rings in my routine. I heard that the unpredictability of rings takes some getting used to... so I thought that it would be best for me to get a head start before going to the actual gym. I think I'm actually most excited about being able to do some dip variations... handstand work... and other various exercises.

As far as my routine is concerned everything is fine... except I didn't practice handstands yesterday because of pain in my forearm. I don't think i'll do handstands today either :/.

Dillon Kolacz

I didn't do handstands or manna stuff today... both of these really hurt my forearm tendon. Manna more than anything :/ planche makes hands forwards makes it tingle... really don't want to stop :/.

Blairbob

Ahh, sounds way more competitive then.

I compete for NAIGC alumni, basically not connected to any school and it's what us old farts generally compete as. UC Berkeley has a NAIGC club but I am currently hesistant about competing them due to some political issues. If I stay on, maybe I'll compete for them after a change of the presidency or their attitude towards the other clubs.

Dillon Kolacz

I'm just going to do my best and try to make it... if I don't make it then I'll try again next year.

I've been extremely cautious with my left arm for these past two days... and I think i'll have to skip out on manna/handstand stuff this next week too.. It's kind of a shame because the handstand wod really make my shoulders sore and I love that :/. Been reorganizing my stretching routine... things are looking good in the right and left splits department thanks to some tips in the flexibility forum.

Dillon Kolacz

workout was good!! skipped manna and handstand stuff today... still felt pain in my arm but it's not as bad.

Dillon Kolacz

I worked out after work today.. (get off at 11 pm).. did normal routine but my planche fell at 45s.. I completed the remaining time with difficulty.. i'm blaming it on exhaustion. Everything else was fine (still didn't do handstands or manna; however, my arm is feeling much better and I can put pressure on it now without feeling any pain)... those flat tuck back levers are killing me

Bryce Warren

If you've had a solid 60s l-sit for a while, have you managed the adv. l-sit? Which would be pushing your hips forward slightly, the small push should be more than enough to make it challenging again.

Dillon Kolacz

I can do the adv L-sit yeah, but I don't really have any intentions on training the static l sit... I've been focusing more on the l-sit lifts!! :) thanks for the suggestion of course!

Dillon Kolacz

Look what came in the mail today!!!!

ringsl.jpg

I just set them up and demoed them... and I'm extremely surprised as to how much I was shaking. It was so unsteady!!! Anyone have any good remedies to this phenom? I can't believe how smooth experienced gymnasts make the rings look! lol

And by remedies i mean... what should I train to combat the shakiness? straight arm support stuff?

MCollins

Really nice! Yes, straight arm support holds with rings turned out if you can (or at least without cheating). It shouldn't take long for your body to get used to it.

Dillon Kolacz

thank you I appreciate it!! II'll schedule them in :)

Dillon Kolacz

caught a stomach bug at work.. work at an assisted living facility and all the residents are coming down with a sickness... didn't work out today... feel like crap

Dillon Kolacz

Have a kidney infection now... haven't worked out past two days. In some pain... already on antibiotics and stuff

Dillon Kolacz

I've fully recovered from stomach bug and I think I'm done with the kidney infection... I did some reading while I was sick and discovered the SSC in the gymnastics book. I've read about it on the forums countless times, but I never looked into it. I decided that I'm going to do ssc on all the statics that I was previously training besides for manna... I took manna training out for now until I figure out how to program it in.

While I was sick, I also decided that I will only be working out 5 days a week. Probably sunday-thursday. Going to try SSC for 8 weeks and see what happens. My maxes are going to be updated for strict form.

LaughingTiger

Glad to see you've recovered. I had intended to post get well wishes earlier. I'm glad that you're feeling better now.

I see that a lot of people are posting positive results based on SSC. I may consider starting one in August.

Dillon Kolacz

Hey guys sorry for not updating. After I got sick, I kind of lost my motivation to post on this topic.

I'm in college now, but classes don't start until Wednesday. The gymnasium is open on the 29th!! I've been working out in my dorm for the past week... it's a small space but it's big enough to get the job done.

Dillon Kolacz

so today was my first day in the gymnasium... I gotta say that it was completely amazing... my (future) team mates are all really cool and there are people who were just like me who didn't have any training. They seemed really satisfied with my ab work... really boosted my confidence. I'm super excited for tomorrow!!! we did some drills that I thought were really interesting... when I have time I'll try to post them.

Cole Dano

Sounds like its been a rough time health wise, good you are back and around people to keep you motivated.

It would be interesting to know how they are training you.