Post Workout Drinks if there isnt any whey protein

Started by sdotcurry30, July 3, 2011 · 13 Replies · 4,129 Views

sdotcurry30

hey i have a question, i ran out of whey protein, and im looking for something that can substitute it, i read somewhere that chocolate milk after a workout works good, can someone confirm this? and if it isnt good, what can i substitute whey protein with, until i buy another pack?

thanks in advance

Blairbob

Milk is 20% whey if I remember off hand. Chactl milk will spike insulin but it will also restore glycogen and provide whey&casein in the long run but not in the short run.

Not really that optimal if you are looking to stay lean or if you're a fatty.

Donar

Try low-fat quark or low-fat cottage cheese mixed with some low-fat milk and some fruit juice.

MH87

Or simply don't go for a regular "post workout drink" make it a real meal instead. :)

nautee
Blairbob said:
Milk is 20% whey if I remember off hand. Chactl milk will spike insulin but it will also restore glycogen and provide whey&casein in the long run but not in the short run.

Not really that optimal if you are looking to stay lean or if you're a fatty.

skim milk will replenish glycogen too because lactose is two glucose molecules bonded together. Breaks down in the stomach and gut into glucose.

Joshua Naterman

Lactose is glucose and galactose, but you're right: it will replenish glycogen. Recent studies have actually shown that milk replenishes water and glucose slightly better than the other concoctions for sale! My mix pretty much mimics that effect.

Blairbob

Yep, milk has potassium and calcium just small amounts of magnesium though it does have some sodium.

Adriano Katkic
slizzardman said:
Lactose is glucose and galactose, but you're right: it will replenish glycogen. Recent studies have actually shown that milk replenishes water and glucose slightly better than the other concoctions for sale! My mix pretty much mimics that effect.

So it's ok to use milk all by itself? I've been using partially skimmed (1.5%) with 30g of honey lately, it's FREAKIN' delicious! Between skimmed and skimmed with added sugar/honey/chocolate/etc, what would be the best choice?

Joshua Naterman

Post workout? Have that honey in there, but maybe only 20g unless you kicked your own butt in the workout! I bet that's good! I'll try that the next time I do my sprints.

Adriano Katkic
slizzardman said:
Post workout? Have that honey in there, but maybe only 20g unless you kicked your own butt in the workout! I bet that's good! I'll try that the next time I do my sprints.

You have no idea. It tastes like little raindrops of heaven, so slurpy and sweet. Mmmmmm...honey.... (picture Homer drooling) :mrgreen:

Adriano Katkic

I should have mentioned that I drink a whole liter during the workout. Is 20g still enough?

Newguy
Adriano said:
slizzardman said:
Post workout? Have that honey in there, but maybe only 20g unless you kicked your own butt in the workout! I bet that's good! I'll try that the next time I do my sprints.

You have no idea. It tastes like little raindrops of heaven, so slurpy and sweet. Mmmmmm...honey.... (picture Homer drooling) :mrgreen:

I have never tried that, but (even though it is slightly expensive) YOU MUST, at least once YOU MUST Try it with just a tablespoon or two (Depending on the cup size) of maple syrup, it is INCREDIBLE... :D:D:D

Oh and remember not to use skim milk on this concoction, only the bestestest raw whole cow milk

Joshua Naterman
Adriano said:
I should have mentioned that I drink a whole liter during the workout. Is 20g still enough?

Yes. There is already 48g of carbs in that much milk, you don't need more. Milk is literally an ideal drink if it's from grassfed, non-pregnant cows.