Hi guys/girls,
I am quite new to tumbling, but over the last fews months I have learned (through great coaching) to perform both front/back handsprings and flips as well as round-offs, and I am now at the point where I am starting to link these skills together.
I have a problem though: my right foot is dominant while doing front handsprings (ie. my right foot is the last foot to push off the ground during this element) but my left foot is dominant while doing round-offs (ie. here my left foot is last to push off the ground and my body rotates counter-clockwise).
This difference in preferred foot has only recently become a problem though, now that I am now attacking my tumbling with more speed (instead of a single-step push off) and linking the skills. Essentially, I have difficulty timing my run to the mats when I switch between sequences that begin with a front handspring vs. beginning with a round-off. Since the last foot to touch down affects where I need to start running and how many strides I need to take to hit the mat (and of course which knee I need to bring up at the last minute), my pacing and rhythm gets thrown off way. Have I explained this clearly enough?
I would ask my coach for advice but the communication barrier makes it very difficult (he speaks Korean and I speak English)! Can you offer me any help?!?!
Thanks a bunch!
A.J.