Iron Cross Question.

Started by AlexX, June 26, 2011 · 2 Replies · 17,758 Views

AlexX

The Iron Cross feels strongest to me when I roll my shoulders back, that way I am able to contract the lats hard and lock my shoulder girdle in the position. However a problem that I've run into is that I can only roll my shoulders back when I start in the Iron Cross position. When I lower into it from a support hold my shoulders roll forward slightly but enough that it makes a difference in how strong I feel in the position. Also in support I just can't retract my shoulders far enough back to just lock the position and hold it as I lower.

Does anyone have any tips or training parameters on keeping the shoulders back when lowering from support? Maybe I need to train my shoulders to be able to retract all the way in support? is there a trick with hand placement when lowering down that I can roll the shoulders back when lowering?

Blairbob

Try to arch your chest.

I see crosses done this way and the arms go behind the body as well. Technically, it's a poor quality cross.

You can't connect this type of cross to other strength moves as well since you need to roll your shoulder forward for virtually all others strength connection.

AlexX
Blairbob said:
Try to arch your chest.

I see crosses done this way and the arms go behind the body as well. Technically, it's a poor quality cross.

You can't connect this type of cross to other strength moves as well since you need to roll your shoulder forward for virtually all others strength connection.

Thanks, I tried the chest arching and did help a little, the more reps of pulls I do though the more my shoulders end up rolling forwards. Yeah I know about the connections. It just feels like a more solid cross with more of a roll backwards though (for me). I suppose I should just let the rolling forwards occur and keep training it that way.