Round Off

Started by Caloy, June 24, 2011 · 8 Replies · 2,412 Views

Caloy

Hello peeps,

I'm trying to learn a RO -> BHS -> Full right now, I usually do just a RO -> Full but decided to add the BHS cause supposedly it adds more power. My problem is I'm undercutting my BHS ( sometimes I would almost do a whip, sometimes I would almost drill my face to the floor ) How do I fix this problem? Any drills/exercises for this?

Thanks

Reveridian

G'day mate, by full I'm assuming you mean layout full twist? A serious issue I have with learning RO -> back sault (back flip) first is that it teaches you to rebound HIGH out of your round off which causes some bad habits when trying to change that sault into a BHS. If you are coming to high out of your RO you will find that you will do a whip as you mentioned. What you need to do is land your RO leaning backwards instead of straight, i.e. you need to snap your feet in faster. A good drill for this is to try and RO onto a crash mat (30cms). This will force you snap in fast to land it properly and when you transfer that to floor then you will land in the correct position for BHS. If you can upload a video I can be a bit more helpful but other then that I am guessing it's just that snap in that's the problem. Assuming you can already BHS :)

Let me know if you need anymore help,

Rev

Caloy
Reveridian said:
G'day mate, by full I'm assuming you mean layout full twist? A serious issue I have with learning RO -> back sault (back flip) first is that it teaches you to rebound HIGH out of your round off which causes some bad habits when trying to change that sault into a BHS. If you are coming to high out of your RO you will find that you will do a whip as you mentioned. What you need to do is land your RO leaning backwards instead of straight, i.e. you need to snap your feet in faster. A good drill for this is to try and RO onto a crash mat (30cms). This will force you snap in fast to land it properly and when you transfer that to floor then you will land in the correct position for BHS. If you can upload a video I can be a bit more helpful but other then that I am guessing it's just that snap in that's the problem. Assuming you can already BHS :)

Let me know if you need anymore help,

Rev

So snap my legs in? I can do a clean BHS ( also BHS -> Tuck, I'm scared to Full :oops: ) I'll upload a video tomorrow. Thanks for the helpful reply! :mrgreen:

Reveridian
Caloy said:

So snap my legs in? I can do a clean BHS ( also BHS -> Tuck, I'm scared to Full :oops: ) I'll upload a video tomorrow. Thanks for the helpful reply! :mrgreen:

Haha you will lose that fear with practice

No probs mate as I said let me know if there's anything else I can do :)

Blairbob

You should work BHS to BackTuck, BHS to BackPike, BHS to BackLayout before of course BHS to Back FullTwistingLayout.

Generally I have tumblers add the back salto from 2 or 3 back handsprings instead of just 1. It's more difficult from just 1, especially standing because of how you have to initiate the first backhandspring. You could also try handstand snap(down/thru) to BHS to back salto or bounce your feet forward of yourself to do a bouncing backhandspring start.

From a scoring perspective, there really isn't a point to doing RO>BHS>back salto as the BHS is only an A-skill and you don't get combination. Still, RO>BHS>Back salto is a basic skillset that may eventually turn into RO>whip>back salto down the road. However, many high level gymnasts don't do the back handspring prior to a back salto if they don't get a good turnover from the BHS. The whip can act as an accelerator if it's polished enough.

To end it will only add more power as an accelerator if it's polished and efficient though many high level gymnasts might whip instead. I have thought that when I have had gymnasts with poor shoulder flexibility that I might train the whip in due time instead of the back handspring as an accelerator but have yet to actually carry it out.

Recently, I have been working just RO>back tuck open and layout and double back timers but I needed to just get over the flip mentality since I hadn't done back salto out of a RO in a long time. So I do need to go back and see about adding the BHS, though I have been working on my back whip as well.

Caloy
Reveridian said:
Caloy said:

So snap my legs in? I can do a clean BHS ( also BHS -> Tuck, I'm scared to Full :oops: ) I'll upload a video tomorrow. Thanks for the helpful reply! :mrgreen:

Haha you will lose that fear with practice

No probs mate as I said let me know if there's anything else I can do :)

So I tried snapping my legs in, did it perfectly fine but my face was literally 6 inches away from the ground when I did my BHS :oops: someone told me I should learn a standing 2 first to help me for RO -> BHS. Should I do that?

Blairbob

I prefer to have a gymnast be able to do 2-3 backhandsprings in a row or a backhandspring from a snap(down/thru) before connecting to the round-off.

Some kids get it real quick just connecting a single backhandspring to a round-off. Many don't and continue balking and crashing. This is why I prefer BHS>BHS before RO>BHS. Even it's just a bounce BHS>BHS.

Sounds like you never really learned how to do BHS series or BHS. While a rec tumbler might eventually do fine skipping this step and just doing tricks out of the RO, I don't recommend or train it ever with my tumblers.

As well, I'm not sure how you're going to able to develop a good back whip if you are lacking in BHS proficiency.

I would really need to see some video to get an idea from what you said about face being close to floor. No doubt you are probably throwing your head back so your body is being lead backwards by your head and not your hands.

Reveridian
Caloy said:
Reveridian said:
Caloy said:

So snap my legs in? I can do a clean BHS ( also BHS -> Tuck, I'm scared to Full :oops: ) I'll upload a video tomorrow. Thanks for the helpful reply! :mrgreen:

Haha you will lose that fear with practice

No probs mate as I said let me know if there's anything else I can do :)

So I tried snapping my legs in, did it perfectly fine but my face was literally 6 inches away from the ground when I did my BHS :oops: someone told me I should learn a standing 2 first to help me for RO -> BHS. Should I do that?

Yeah I agree with what Blairbob has said. You may be leading with your head instead of your hands. But yeah we kinda need to see a video and then we can really fix it up. I don't quite understand what you mean when you say your face is 6 inches from the ground haha sorry. Doing a BHS, BHS series is very good for learning RO BHS if you want to try and do that first... But I see no reason for you not to be able to do a RO BHS if you are already competent in both the skills. But then again I don't know what training you've had etc. When I train tumbling for my girls, before doing anything I make sure they can do each skill separately, understand the skill in it's entirety and then I would start working connections such as that snapping in fast. When they can do all of that it's just a matter of putting it together.

So yeah upload a vid if you can and we can try and help from there :)

Caloy

I got in now guys, my problem is my RO. I'm so used on rebounding on my RO that I don't jump for the BHS, that's why when I changed my RO (for a BHS, landing on a chair position) I landed low cause I was relying on the rebound and didn't jump. Thanks everyone for the tips, I just need to drill the RO -> Jumpback drill then I'll be set.

Thanks again guys, it was really helpful! :D:D