Im embarassed to be having to post about this, because the way i injured myself this morning is so stupid...but to start from the beginning, the summer before last i had to go to physical therapy for my right shoulder because i kept dislocating it and it was becoming a very serious problem. I teach MMA and i kept throwing my shoulder out while throwing punches that went out too wide or trying to pull peoples' legs in when wrestling. A doctor i saw told me that i had shoulder instability and the pt gave me exercises to help correct it. After maybe a year, i had no more problems, and abandoned the exercises. Then i started some of the progression in BtGB, and even though ive made very little progress, im stronger now than ive ever been before. The BtGB exercises are not what caused my injury today (i dont think). No, i injured myself trying to kill a moth that was on the ceiling. :oops: I got a swatter and swung at it in a way that was kind of like a baseball pitcher and i felt my shoulder kind of roll out of place. It went right back in, and i wasnt in agonizing pain. It felt like that feeling of when you almost get injured, that shocking feeling of omg, that almost hurt REALLY bad--but not really any pain. I was only alarmed because thats exactly the feeling i used to get when my shoulder dislocated, before it became chronic and started causing lots of pain.
I put ice on it right away, and a couple of minutes later i took a pain reliever just to make sure nothing in there would swell up. I still dont really feel pain, but my shoulder is tired, and i dont want to go back to where i was before. What exercises should i be doing to help correct my instability? Im going to start up on those pt exercises again, but i dont know what kind of shoulder stretches i should be doing.
I want to do exercises that will strengthen my shoulder joints to keep them from being dislocated. The past couple of months, ive been working on low lsits, the adv. frog stand, tuck back lever (but i never did german hang because i couldnt figure it out) and im going to also work on the front lever but i cant hold a tucked one yet. instead im doing chin-up grip deadhangs, definitely the weakest part of my training, as my bad shoulder is very weak when in the "open" position. Ive also been doing pushup and row variations and some pullup work with jumpstretch bands and hespus on a box. I admittedly dont do much prehab (i know i should and now i def will) but i usually do do wall shoulder extensions and dislocates with a band. The wall extensions are very uncomfortable and sometimes painful on my bad side, i think because of inflexibility. I just wanted to know, Is any of what im doing a bad idea? Are intentional shoulder dislocates bad for an instable shoulder? Should i do the german hang first instead of back lever (and how do you go about doing progressions on it? will it be in liquid steel™?) And also what are the best exercises as far as strength to help correct this problem?
Any help is deeply appreciated, as i dont want to spend another summer injured and unable to compete. Like really, I will love anyone who can give me helpful advice on this. I really dont want surgery or a permanent problem. Also, sorry the post is so long.