Injured hip, need advice on what to do in meantime.

Started by Asclepius, June 21, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,096 Views

Asclepius

Hey all,

So I injured my hip doing heavy squats. It's either a pulled abductor or hip flexor muscle, but it's taking a while to heal (been almost 3 weeks since injury).

Anyway, I need some advice on stuff that I can do in the meantime to maintain or even improve my strength. Pretty much anything lower-body oriented is out, except maybe jumproping.

So, does anyone have suggestions on what I can do in the meantime? (Just FYI, I was doing a basic barbell routine).

Thanks!

P.S. I can do pushups, kick up to handstand, and anything that doesn't require hip extension just fine.

Asclepius

Or should I just chill and maybe do some jumprope stuff until I get better?

Cole Dano

Its always good to do as much as you can to keep mobility. You don't need to lift anything, but as soon as you can do some bodyweight squats. If that is painful then you can start lying on your back.

If you can attach bands to the bottom of a door, then you and do the negative movement on your back by putting the band around your feet and pulling your knees into the squat position.

Of course any other general hip mobility work is also good.

The rule to follow is that you don't push into pain, but you can lightly brush the threshold.

Quick Start Test Smith

I'm not experienced enough to give any rehab advice, but are you aware of Mobility WOD? It's possible that you have some biomechanical problems that caused your injury (in fact, it's quite likely) Following the MWODs will definitely help against that. Dr. Starrett, the man who heads the website, covers the entire body.

Do you regularly perform soft tissue work with a foam roller/PVC pipe or lacrosse ball?

Asclepius
Patrick Smith said:
I'm not experienced enough to give any rehab advice, but are you aware of Mobility WOD? It's possible that you have some biomechanical problems that caused your injury (in fact, it's quite likely) Following the MWODs will definitely help against that. Dr. Starrett, the man who heads the website, covers the entire body.

Do you regularly perform soft tissue work with a foam roller/PVC pipe or lacrosse ball?

Are the Mobility WODs actually worthwhile? It seems like he does something completely different each day while rarely repeating things (correct me if I'm wrong). If that is true, then what is the point of not doing things regularly?

Cole Dano

I wouldn't go too far into the Mob WODs for your hip if you have pain currently. They are too extreme for right now. Simple full range of movement that you have is best.

Without knowing why the injury occurred saying its a mobility problem is impossible. It may have just been too much weight, or not enough internal bracing.