First off, a big THANK YOU to Coach Sommer and all of the GB community! Over the last 2 years I have learned a wealth of information here - the book and website continue to be truly amazing resources for me. Thanks again and again!
Now regarding my specific post - I am hoping to turn my love for bodyweight training into a coaching career and am hopeful that any of you with such experience (and perhaps even Coach Sommer?) can offer some practical advice on preparing for a career in gymnastics.
Here's some basic background information: I am 26 years old, male, Canadian, am currently working as an ESL Teacher, have degrees in Psychology and Architecture, and am otherwise a "beginner" gymnast. I have been involved with strength training for some 10 years but only recently discovered gymnastic a few years ago - it completely and permanently changed my outlook on bodyweight training. I have been following GBs independently for 2 years and recently began tumbling classes where I have seen rapid gains - my Coach says I have great potential. I currently have little formal training/education in gymnastics (or sports science), but am highly capable and willing to learn.
I am at a turning point in my life now where I want a (major) career change where I can finally follow my passion. I realize that it will be difficult and probably even impractical to begin pursuing this career at my age, but I am here asking you for constructive criticism and your help with guiding me from point A to point B (or in my case, more like points A to Z!).
So where do I begin? It is obvious that I first need to improve my own personal gymnastics skill/strength levels (I have no expectation of reaching an elite level, but a solid foundation I can only assume is necessary for effective teaching). I also imagine that I will need to get a series of qualifications/certifications - can you comment on what is typically involved for the "education" component of a coach? And I will also need to begin to build experience - where is a good start for this?
These 3 points are just my own speculations. I imagine there are many others that I have failed to consider! So if you can offer me ANY information on how to proceed with this dream, it will be hugely appreciated!
Thanks in advance for all your help and I really look forward to hearing your input!
All the best,
A.J.