Three short videos from the gym last night.

Started by Tyler Phillips, June 18, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,037 Views

Tyler Phillips

Hello all. Last night while at the gym I had my friends get some vids of me doing a skill or two. In particular, I want to get some comments/critiques on the muscle-up and the shoulder stand. Note that I wasn't doing these for training, these vids were just progress reports and for fun (as evidenced by the back tuck video) and that not all the skills look particularly great (ie that forward roll on the rings). So yeah, it's the three videos on my channel dated from yesterday, and any comments you have for future progression and whatnot would be appreciated. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TylerInTraining

Dillon Zrike

Tyler,

Looks pretty good. One thing I notice is that you lean back in your L-sit. Try not to do this.

Dillon

Tyler Phillips

At the time, I had been recovering from a lower back strain so part of that was an attempt to not push my back. That being said, I've had a tendency to lean back on my L-sits prior to the injury. It really only happens when I try to do the advanced variation with the hips pressed forward, but I guess I just have to be more diligent about keeping upright. Thanks for that. :)

Another quick question I have is in regards to transitioning to muscle-ups without the false grip. I know you're supposed to nail down wide-grip muscle-ups first, and mine look about shoulder-width apart so I'm on my way there. I asked one of the coaches at the gym and he simply said "Eventually you get strong enough where you don't need it." Is that simply the case, or are there other nuances besides strength gains that make learning that easier? I know kipping or jumping through the transition can help, like it did when I was first learning the muscle up. Any other tips?

Dillon Zrike

Tyler,

False grip is a skill that you want. It will be used on all your advanced ring strength moves. That being said, performing a muscle-up without a false grip is difficult. It requires you to start the transition very early, and puts much more strain on your elbows. If I was you I would not try to train it without a false grip. This could lead to elbow issues if not prepared. Get a slow wide muscle-up, then worry about keeping your scaps externally rotated. If you can do both of those you will most likely be able to do a muscle-up without a false grip.

Dillon