This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Repairable write off.

Started by CK BUILD, June 16, 2011 · 13 Replies · 1,088 Views

CK BUILD

First post. Ever.

6 weeks has passed since I first came across gymnasticbodies.

In my possession now are btgb, xtreme rings, parrallettes, weighted vest, currently making a single bar, and parallel bars outside. I've removed gyprock from the ceiling in the study and hang the rings from the roof trusses. They all thought I was crazy, but Ive never felt better. My wife understands, my kids are having a ball and my best friend wants to train everyday with me.

A bit of background:- I'm 32 years old, a little worse for wear from contact sports(rugby league, mma). I've had an ankle reconstruction(plantar over extension, trapped in awkward position) knee reconstruction(bent back the other way), shoulder reconstruction(rotator cuff and 4 inch long tear in capsule, 4 titanium clamps in place to hold capsule to scapula) fracture to c5 and l5 vertebrae. My lower back injury has caused me the most grief, something I'm always aware of and the reason I try to keep myself in reasonable condition. They are not things I'm proud of, but more to shed light on why I'm here.

I've enjoyed doing weights for the past 3 years and seem some good size gains, strength Gains reasonable, but there's always that niggle. I ventured into bodyweight training, just dips, chinups which I found to be an awakening. And well here I am. Taking this newfound (for me anyway) information and running with it.

So to begin:- 32 years old, 90kg, 175cm tall. Short and stocky at about 20% body fat.

I'll start posting my workout schedule tonight. Cheers.

Quick Start Test Smith

Welcome! :D 8)

CK BUILD

Workout done, feeling good.

Started off stretching wrists and shoulders, a bit of a warm up then:-

2 sets of 10 wrist pushups

3 sets of 30 seconds wall handstands trying to push off from wall

Straddle l pb bent 10 sets 6 seconds

Manna msh bent 10 sets 6 seconds

Then moved onto integrated training using steady state cycle

Planche tuck paired with xr ppp

Back lever paired with xr flr tuck

L sit paired with v up tuck, rll headstand, window washers.

Front lever paired with sls deck squat.

3 sets of 5 reps for the push and pulls and squats,

Statics as explained in the book totaling 60 seconds.

This was my 5th workout in this manner, 2 days on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off repeated.

Each session I utilized a different plane of motion including multi plane pulling and pushing.

I would like to include straight body but will work it into another cycle.

My main focus is to execute everything as strictly as possible, according to the explanation.

To vary this I'll do wod, where and whenever to keep things fun.

This beats going to the gym hands down. My wife was in fits of laughter watching my chest roll to headstand attempts. Great fun. Hopefully I'll make it to the next olympics. As a spectator.

Cole Dano

Welcome - Sounds like you have a great wife, not every understands the need to disfigure the house for workout purposes.

I also have a great wife and a room where the walls are full of eyebolts and strange equipment hanging everywhere.

CK BUILD

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to find like minded people.

Id like to hear of other peoples advancements in the static holds, how far along they are and how long it took.

Also their opinions on btgb based training versus wod.

Joshua Naterman
Mr Brady said:
Welcome - Sounds like you have a great wife, not every understands the need to disfigure the house for workout purposes.

I also have a great wife and a room where the walls are full of eyebolts and strange equipment hanging everywhere.

HAHAHA!!! Nice! I am in the process of doing the same to my mom's garage. Thank goodness for understanding women.

CK BUILD

I've rigged some scaffold up in my back yard to hang a climbing rope and the rings off too.

I can use it for single bar and parallel bar work too. Pretty rough but I quite like it. My back yard will look like a Jackie chan movie set when I'm finished.

Quick Start Test Smith
Mr Brady said:
I also have a great wife and a room where the walls are full of eyebolts and strange equipment hanging everywhere.
slizzardman said:

HAHAHA!!! Nice! I am in the process of doing the same to my mom's garage. Thank goodness for understanding women.

Yes! I am also in the process of planning the complete remodeling of my family's garage interior for training purposes! Having a self-made area devoted almost exclusively to training is wonderful. It's somewhere you can go and sit to think in after you've had a bad day or when you've accomplished something really hard. Last year when I won a grand championship at a MA tourney (really not all that big of a deal), the next day, when I was getting ready for training, I just sat for a while in my training area thinking about all the time and effort I had spent there training to get to where I was. It was definitely a great way to de-brief! Homemade, homegrown, home is where it's at!

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha! Yea, it is pretty nice. I am putting in a bunch of eyebolts to make a homemade cable machine with my bands which is pretty sweet to have. I will also have two sets of rings, my power rack, a wall-mounted stall bar ladder, adjustable kettlebell, and my soon to be ordered olympic lifting set. Yes, I am spending some money from my school refund check and getting myself some kickass dead blow bumper plates along with a very nice bar from Pendlay. The financial shock will hurt, but they will last forever and allow me to do pretty much everything.

swarovski

man, I played rugby (union) for 22 years, in the past 5 years I switched to motocross and I consider myself with a long list of injuries, but hell it seemed I was in table tennis compared to you. I bet you've found the right place to start working out in a way that will allow you to cope better with the pain of such beaten body.

g'd luck.

CK BUILD

Not as bad as it sounds I guess. I rehabilitated properly, my biggest mistake was probably playing at too high a level from such a young age. I played A grade at 17 yo and only 60kg, against fully developed men. I omitted a few injuries like broken arms because it's not too serious I think, 6 weeks and you're back into it. I really think this type of training would highly compliment mma. Yes I'm excited to see how my body develops over the next few months.

I trained last night

Fsp

Bulgarian dips

Behind neck pullups

Core workout

Deck squats jumping for length and height

I must admit I look forward to this type of training everyday.

I've set myself some goals which I'll document when i have some time.

Joshua Naterman

GB absolutely does wonders for MMA ability. No question about it, just ask anyone I spar with. Not that I'm the next Anderson Silva or GSP but in terms of pure physical dominance the stuff we do here has just transformed me from just a problem into some sort of nuclear wrecking ball. Kind of silly imagery, I admit, but there really is a huge difference that you'll see, especially if you get into the WODs and just scale them to your ability based on what your body will let you do. The most important thing by far: FL pulls and front pulls. Yewkis and reverse yewkis are right up there too, your multiplane pulling is what will really make you start to stand out the fastest.

Quick Start Test Smith
slizzardman said:
GB absolutely does wonders for MMA ability. No question about it, just ask anyone I spar with. Not that I'm the next Anderson Silva or GSP but in terms of pure physical dominance the stuff we do here has just transformed me from just a problem into some sort of nuclear wrecking ball. Kind of silly imagery, I admit, but there really is a huge difference that you'll see, especially if you get into the WODs and just scale them to your ability based on what your body will let you do. The most important thing by far: FL pulls and front pulls. Yewkis and reverse yewkis are right up there too, your multiplane pulling is what will really make you start to stand out the fastest.

FL pulls, front pulls, yewkis, and reverse yewkis. Gotcha!

What are the pre-requisites for doing FL pulls and the rest? I can do a FL tuck for about 10-15 seconds (I think), could I do a yewkis or FL pull in a tuck?

CK BUILD

Nice, I'm looking forward to The benefits. I see what u mean with the levers, most grappling requires that pulling motion with a rigid body. I like the explosive leg work too, I think that will improve my kick power. I'm quite short for my weight division so getting inside and upending people is a tactic I work with. I try not to spend too much time on the floor. It's only been 3 weeks of gb training but I can already feel the benefits. Maybe a bit of soreness in my right elbow which I think may be from back lever tuck. Gotta go, dentist is waiting