with dynamic stretches, more advanced ones anyway, the particular one/s i'm talking about is like coach's side splits on rings except on a skateboard. I'm experiencing a bit of soreness i'm sure it's just from overuse and not being used to using the muscles to that extent, i wanted to know what do you guys think are sufficent reps and sets for more advanced dynamic stretches like that?
advanced dynamic stretches
Started by Edward Smith, January 30, 2008 · 3 Replies · 6,845 Views
The stretch that you describe is dynamic (movment is occuring) but it is not what we usualy call 'dynamic stretches'.
A more appropriate term would be 'stretching under load', but it is not diffrent biomechanicly from any miometric movement - concentric - eccentric.
You do warm up correct? jog around for say about 3 minutes minimum.
I wouldn't really place stretches under sets and reputations, for dynamic stretches it's more of a 20 second hold sort of operation if you know what I mean, and then move onto a new stretch. I've never really been sore from stretching, but I've noticed you can loose flexibility really easily if you don't stick to it, I've maybe had slight tenderness a few times.
Stretching Confusion
You are intermingling passive stretching, active stretching and dynamic stretching. Passive stretching is simply getting into a position and holding it (i.e. a seated pike stretch). Active stretching is performing a stretch under load (i.e. a weighted standing pike stretch) and dynamic stretching (i.e. standing pike bends).
For general fitness training, I recommend warming up with movement and dynamic stretching and then placing the majority of the active and passive stretching work at the end of the workout.
Here is a nice introduction to the power splits.
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47
Your in Fitness,
Coach Sommer