Wall bars support hold - a neglected exercise

Started by gymgreg, June 16, 2011 · 7 Replies · 5,080 Views

gymgreg

Hey workout buddies,

I just rediscovered a basic strength exercise that I had neglected for some time.

Wall bars support holds. They work your whole upper body / core and are also a great exercises to prepare your elbows and biceps tendons for harder work. So I thought I share this rediscovery with you guys.

Here is me suffering at the end of a recent workout.

VX5Zs2Ym0to

Blairbob

Is doing the stall bar support with your back to it at all like a ring turned out support? Easier/more difficult?

Sternford

I neglect them because they seem impossible whenever I try them. How do you work up to it?

Erich Lin

you can also do this facing the wall :)

gymgreg
Blairbob said:
Is doing the stall bar support with your back to it at all like a ring turned out support? Easier/more difficult?

It is significantly harder than rings turned out support. I can't hold the stall bar support nearly as long as rto support.

The reason for this is that (in back support) you center of gravity is in front of your palms so you have to actively press forward (like pressing down in BL) in order to stay on.

Sternford said:
I neglect them because they seem impossible whenever I try them. How do you work up to it?

Interesting question. They just worked first try for me, it was very shaky though. So I mixed in multiple 10s holds in my workouts.

If you can't hold it, just keep doing the more rings support holds and FL / BL work.

erichlin said:
you can also do this facing the wall :)
What do you mean exactly? Because in the clip I am doing the front support position at the end. Is there another variation I am not aware about?
Erich Lin

oh i didn't watch your whole video. didn't see that you did both front and back :)