Back Lever Questions

Started by kwesty92, June 14, 2011 · 6 Replies · 2,800 Views

kwesty92

I've been struggling with the back lever lately -- right now I'm at a pretty solid tuck BL but can't seem to move past that. First, my BL is way behind my FL (can hold a solid straddle FL for a couple of seconds, but can not even get into a satisfactory adv. tuck BL), which I know is usually the other way around: has anyone had any "aha" moments or technique tips that made the BL easier that I may be missing? I've noticed it can be made slightly easier by "pressing inwards" with my shoulders towards a more concave chest, is this ok to do or bad form?

Either way, it seems to be my back strength that is preventing me from moving forwards (I am also not very good at press handstands -- can barely do one straddle press HeS) -- would press headstands be the best way to improve lower back strength or is there a better exercise for helping the BL?

Thanks!

Falcon

Simply you got to flatten your back. Post a video, without it nobody can tell you what are you doing wrong.

Blairbob

Lots of skin the cats, especially the motion of basket to german hang and pull to basket.

Weighted reverse hypers or inverted leg lifts if you have access to a set of stall bars. If not, HeSLL.

Course it helps to have a decent ring support of course.

Another back strength exercise would be the deadlift.

AtT

What is a basket?

Erich Lin

ehhh, my BL was slower than my FL in the beginning. I had straddle FL before straddle BL. Then all of a sudden, straddle BL and full lay BL came. It took about 5 months later for my full lay FL to come.

I don't think it was a back issue for me. I'm thinking it was simply that my bicep tendons weren't strong enough. If that is the case with you, the maybe PLanche Leans can help?

kwesty92

Thanks for the replies guys,

I think I will definitely start doing more HeS RLL (reverse hypers when/if i have the equipment available) and planche leans, and just keep hammering away at the tuck BL and hopefully the flat tuck will come along pretty soon.

Blairbob

A basket hang is an inverted pike hang. Basically a pike stretch upside down with the legs and torso as horizontal as your flexibility allows.