Dips - Technique Question

Started by CalisthenicGod, June 14, 2011 · 2 Replies · 2,993 Views

CalisthenicGod

Hey guys,

I have a question for you all, especially for the veterans (Slizzardman, Coach, etc). Which technique for Dips is better suited for gymnastic conditioning? Forward lean (Chest emphasis, also known as "Chest Dips"), or Chest up (emphasis on triceps). Which technique do you use? Also I am doing a hypertrophy workout involving Dips, which type of Dips would be superior for the goal of hypertrophy?

Is there really any difference at all for both?

Feedback is appreciated.

CalisthenicGod

I'd also like to add which style of Dips is safer for the shoulder joint?

Seiji

Well, there is an emphasis on all sorts of dips. Besides leaning forwards and backwards in a traditional dip, there are dips on one bar, there are dips where the arms are placed farther apart, and more. Instead of leaning to create a chest emphasis, try placing your hands wider. If you're at a dip station, then do the dips diagonally instead, it shouldn't place much stress on your shoulders that way. They're all discussed in Coach Sommer's book.

For shoulder safety... it's all on you. All dips are generally safe except when you've either got an injury or are prone to it. When I used to have bicep tendonitis, after recovering I've been doing dips where the shoulder doesn't go farther than parallel to the ground and it hasn't caused any aggravations. I haven't had problems in a long time actually, and it's great because I can work on planches the right way now.

With a narrow dip, as in elbows back, the shoulders are used more instead of the chest and there is a lot of emphasis on shoulder strength in gymnastics.