This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

From Starting Strength to BtGB

Started by Jordan_vonP, June 12, 2011 · 5 Replies · 981 Views

Jordan_vonP

Hey Guys,

I'm new to Gymnastics Training, but looked at it as something I could begin this summer when I didn't have access to weights. I've done Starting Strength the last several months and made great strength gains. But now I'm looking at BtGB and have rings set up and am all ready to begin for the next several months. I was wondering whether anybody could check out my modified killroy workout template? I've included it below:

Static Positions:

1) planche - frog stand

2) back lever - tuck

3) front lever - tuck

4) handstand – handstand w/ box

Day 1 – pushups w/ rings and ring rows elevated FBE

Day 2 – inverted chinups and dipping variations FBE

Day 3 – chin-ups L and handstand pushup w/ box FBE

Day 4 - pullovers + muscle-ups w/ jump

So I was going to perform the static positions everyday (4 days a week) and then alternate through the dynamic movements. Some input on sets and reps/time would be greatly appreciated for both positions. I am also looking towards some arm hypertrophy because as I stand now, my arms are long, and thus lankier, than the rest of my upper body. So any comments or suggestions regarding that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Blairbob

well if you're gonna do a SSC which is what I prefer with Killroy system for statics compared to what he did, I would say test your static holds. I would do it for the FBE's as well. 50% of max doesn't seem much but I have found it as enough when it came to worksets.

I wouldn't go 80-90% though. Some thoughts of using 40-50-60-70-80 isn't bad.

Jordan_vonP

Right now I am working on descending into the BL and FL tuck and holding it, so I assume I should just keep focusing on that for now. For the frog stand, I'm still working on my balance which is the main issue right now, so at the moment I can really only hold it for like 5 - 6 seconds. And despite the handstand not being listed under FBE, would it still be beneficial to work as another static position? Unfortunately I don't have access to parallel bars right now so I can't perform the beginning progressions of the manna, straddle L, and L-sit.

Blairbob

Jordan, do you have a set of DB. These work pretty well as DB. 15's should do you.

Of course you can make a set out of PVC at the hardware store for about 3-5 bucks. Or use chairs.

You must work HS. Not working HS is not doing the program. It's gymnastics. Do HS or go home.

For those FSP, I would do between 4-7 holds. When I was merely doing something similar to Killroy's program early on, I found this was about the most reps I could do before they just turned to crap. On MTh, I work 5 rounds of body lever, Ring press to HS, and block maltese and find after rep 5, they just generally get crappier and crappier and there isn't much point. While I could still work more ByLr, it's moot for the RingPressHS and sometimes the block maltese. Bare in mind, I hold them or TUT for around 4-7s each.

Jordan_vonP

I do have dumbbells, and I have pushup "bars", but are these for the pseudo-parallel bars? The second sentence confused me a little.

I definitely want to work HS, I was just wondering whether I should implement them as a static hold or as a dynamic movement?

That's more or less what I've begun with, holding them for as long as I can but limiting it to around that 4 to 7 range.

Blairbob

Use your pushup bars or DB for doing the L and straddle-L sit work off the ground.

Well, per GB, do not work on wall runs until you can hold a wall HS for 60s.

I would simply practice a minimum of 10-15 HS per workout and perhaps 3-5 rounds of wall HS. You could do more if you had the time.