Hi everyone. Last night at open gym I was talking to one of the coaches, just making small talk after a night of work (or in my case a night of rehabbing a sudden onset of bad back pain
). He was going on about a lot of the training methods he went through when he was competing and one thing that especially caught my attention was what he mentioned about training handstand stability. He mentioned that his coach would have his team hop on a trampoline (can't recall now if it was just a mini tramp or a full-sized one) while in a handstand, with perfect form, for about one minute. The hops only had to be about 4-6 in off the trampoline, but even then this sounds like a heck of a training method. I was wondering if anyone here has employed this method of training at all, and if so how much success has been had with it.
Handstand hops... on a trampoline?
Started by Tyler Phillips, June 11, 2011 · 4 Replies · 4,313 Views
yep, pretty common drill on trampoline. well common enough that I know it.
*shrug* It's just not something I've ever heard mentioned before, not here or anywhere else. A quick YouTube search showed how to get into a handstand on the trampoline, but I didn't see anything about holding it for time. I wonder if that's something Coach'll include in the handstand book, since it sounds like the instability work would be a nice potential setup for future ring work (if it is in fact easier on a trampoline vs the rings.)
I don't use them extensively but as far as I'm aware it is used for building shoulder girdle strength as well as the stabiliser muscles. But the primary use for it is to teach how to "pop" through the shoulders keeping correct body shape and strengthen that pop. It is vitally important in the learning process for both vaulting and tumbling.
I use it as well for introducing the Handstand "hop" or "blocking" action.
A basic HS drill is HS hopping, drop to back drop, pop to HS or lower body to knee drop, pop back up to HS. Either one at a time or connected. Similar drills are down on a tumbl-trak bar.